Workers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workers?

I'm wonderinghow people control their workers. When I noticed that my cities weren't making very much production since wirkers seem to prefer windmills over mines over mines I started personaly giving workers orders, but ussally I still stop by the industrial age.
    I give them orders all the time
    59.49%
    I give them orders until the industrial age
    26.58%
    I give them orders until the middle age
    5.06%
    I'll step in and give them orders sometimes
    3.80%
    Always automated
    2.53%
    I only give orders to build banana plantations
    2.53%
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Early on, I'll definitely give them orders myself. Late on, I'll make sure "don't uproot forests" is on and order them to "build, not altering existing improvements". Usually the borderline will be somewhere around Steam Power.
    Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

I give orders for every single thing except roads and new recource accessing for the enitire game. Sometimes I even give orders for road building too.

Comment

I give them orders at the start until I've done the most necessary improvements and improvements that I know the AI will do differently than I want. I then automate them all (with no forest chop and don't alter existing)except one which I use for building mines/windmills on forested hills, emergency work and correcting anything that I don't like which the AI did. I usually automate him around the industrial age.

Comment

I don't trust the AI. Plain and simple.

But I rarely enjoy playing well into the industrial age so might switch around then when I simply cannot be bothered to deal with them all.

Comment

I basically give them orders until I've finished all terrain improvement for the game, meaning railroads, watermills, workshops etc. At that point I give them free reign (well, with the restrictions stopping them being dumb) so they can fix up pillaged land or whatever.

Comment

I usually give orders and control them exclusively until Railroads. Usually by then I have all the cities in my empire built up and the area around them the way I want them (farms, cottages etc...), roads where i want them, the works.

Then I start making them all "build automatic trade" to complete railroads everywhere. If I atke over a city or two during that time I'll stop them and force a mass worker migration to the new cities to improve them and change the AI improvements from the city I took over.

I voted for banana plantations however, as none of the other selections acuratly shows what I do.

Comment

I always control them manually. When they're completely done improving terrain I have them build forts in most unused tiles and let them sit in the forts until I need some.
                Last edited by Kuciwalker; October 4, 2006, 22:34.

Comment

Total control. I can't trust the ai on this.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion
                    I don't trust the AI. Plain and simple.

amen brother
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      I always control them manually. When they're completely done improving terrain I have them build forts in most unused tiles and let them sit in the forts until I need sum.
                      I also spam forts . Altough I try not to because i know it's a more effective use of my time to just send them to where they'll (likely) be needed and put them to sleep.

Comment

Manual orders until I'm sure I've won then let them build trade networks.

Comment

I give them orders until I have finished all terrain imrpovements exepct railroads. Then I let the automated workers build all the railroads.
                          GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                          even mean anything?

Comment

I control them until I have built railroad connections between all my cities, then I might let some of them "Build trade Network" although I keep a few on manual control anyway. I don't trust the auto-workers to build a good railroad initially, so I make sure the first connections are designed to get my troops towards my enemies fastest, while crossing as many forests and mines as practical.

Comment

I always control my workers myself. If I run out of things to do, I will stack them and fort them until I need them again. If I have a lot and figure I won't need that many in the future, I may delete some.

Typically my workers idle a little bit before I get Railroad, so I will fort them in groups around my core cities (on mined hills, typically, so they're right where they need to be).

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X