Um... Monty, what are you doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um... Monty, what are you doing?

So, I'm plugging along in a game I'm feeling like quitting in (no real reason, just didn't like it) when something... odd happens. See attached photo.

The picture is with "show food on". And he built a base. On pure ice. Now, the thing is, it's stocked with 3 War Elephants and a Pikeman.

Am I correct in assuming that he was trying to found a base at Furville, but couldn't (because I had already gotten it), and was forced to place it less-than-optimally? There's no special resource on the mountain to the right of the base; and I know he doesn't have any techs that I currently don't know.

The other option is that he's aware that I'm building up a fairly large mass of Praets/Catapults/Trebs near his border, and he's building this culture-proof base near my ass-end in order to strike from, eventually? Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

So, what say you, Apolyton?
    Attached Files
    It's a CB.
    --
    SteamID: rampant_scumbag

There is marble to the right.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

[conspiracy theory]Maybe the AI knows where resources are going to appear in the future [/conspiracy theory]
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I used to like Babar.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Yes, just a guess, but I'd say there's a hidden Oil or Uranium resource near that city. Play on and let us know.
          ...and I begin to understand that there are no new paths to track, because, look, there are already footprints on the moon. -- Kerkorrel

Comment

The real question is, what could your city possibly be named if you have to censor its name in the screenshot .
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

And why the drop-shadows?

But that's just me.

And, I'm tired of reposting the results of tests I did proving the AI doesn't see resources before they are supposed to so I'm not posting them again.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah

And, I'm tired of reposting the results of tests I did proving the AI doesn't see resources before they are supposed to so I'm not posting them again.

Tom P.
                Certain urban legends seem impervious to proof that they never happened or couldn't happen. In the same way, the belief that the AI knows all on hidden resources will not die. I'd give it up, Tom. People apparently want this conspiracy theory to be true, so to them it is.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Deleted.
                  LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                    The real question is, what could your city possibly be named if you have to censor its name in the screenshot .
                    I had called it something else, but had planned on renaming it to Fullopolis or something, since there's four Fur Things underneath it.

And why the drop-shadows?
                    Dunno. I just like the contrast.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that I'm not arguging that they know something is somewhere else; I just didn't notice the marble. Still, why would they build a base there, just for the marble? He put enough troops so that I couldn't culture-swarm it.
                    It's a CB.
                    --
                    SteamID: rampant_scumbag

Comment

I think it's pretty funny that, had a human player been in control of Montezuma, we would say: "Oh my, what a great strategic move: sacrificing city quality to ensure access to a key resource (Marble)!" But when the AI does it, it's a bad move.

The AI has the right idea with respect to grabbing resources. Whether or not it can effectively fit this into a broader strategy...well, that sounds like a challenge for the modding community.
                      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                        I think it's pretty funny that, had a human player been in control of Montezuma, we would say: "Oh my, what a great strategic move: sacrificing city quality to ensure access to a key resource (Marble)!" But when the AI does it, it's a bad move.

The AI has the right idea with respect to grabbing resources. Whether or not it can effectively fit this into a broader strategy...well, that sounds like a challenge for the modding community.
                        Yeah, but how will this city expand its radius to get access to the marble before one of the more viable cities expands to get it? If the AI really wanted the marble why not simply build the city right on that tile and be done with it?
                        The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

It would be interesting to see if there is indeed Oil within that city's radius...
                          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

wait a minute. Aren't both cities built on pure ice? What's the requirements now? I can't seem to remember.

And theatres are cheap. It would be easy to get that marble since it's not close to the other city. The real question is why they need marble that late in the game. I'm not going to build a crap city for a crap resource. Oil on the other hand....

Comment

please play it out...

keep us updated
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                              X