Circumnavigation with no navy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circumnavigation with no navy?

Recently, I've been trying to shake things up and not get stuck in a rut strategically speaking. So I've been playing with the map setting on shuffle. My current game is taking place on a pangea map from what I can tell. With all of my future targets conveniently placed on one continent, I decided not to bother with circumnavigation. Eventually, I was able to trade world maps and I quickly began to do so. Imagine my surprise when I trade maps with Victoria and Mansa and I've suddenly circumnavigated the globe without a navy. Has this happened to anyone else?

I pulled it off once on a tiny pangea, a Warrior circumnavigated, there was a small enough distance from one edge of the continent to the other that I was able to see across and get it.

Comment

Yes, I was on a long north to south island and civs from each side showed up. I traded maps and got the bonus.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Happened me once in vanilla civ4.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
          Happened me once in vanilla civ4.
          Me too. Sailed to another, new to me, continent and traded maps with one of their leaders and got credit for circumnavigation. I guess I got the credit because it happened on my turn, since technically he circumnavigated just as much as I did.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer I guess I got the credit because it happened on my turn, since technically he circumnavigated just as much as I did.
            That was going to be my next question. I was curious if Mansa would get the bonus as well. I'll assume not for the time being because that explanation makes sense.

Comment

no he wouldn't, you are the first turn, then the rest of the civs

Comment

Originally posted by allybhoy
                no he wouldn't, you are the first turn, then the rest of the civs
                To my understanding, it is not a matter of who gets the first turn, it is a matter of who initiated the trade. This is why you would not want to trade maps during the AI turn but during your own.

I have done it a couple of times, getting the circumnavigation bonus via map trade. It seems a little strange since I never sent a boat to some of those places. I guess I just get credit for proving the world is cylindrical instead of flat, just like Columbus did. No, wait, he didn't prove the world was cylindrical, did he?
                If you aren't confused,
                You don't understand.

Comment

i've never initiated a ap trade, so you may be right

Suppose Columbus thought he'd proved the world was round. he thought you could sail west to china, and thats whats he thought he'd done

Comment

Nope, it's because the human is first in turn order.

It checks things like that (first to a certain goal, tech, wonder, etc.) at the begining of the turn. Since, on SP, the human moves first - you win.

Try it - set up a WB scenario, give each civ the same wonder and enough hammers to finish next turn. Then play out the next turn and the human will get the wonder.

Tom P.

Comment

Working...
                    X