Thinking of giving up on Civ IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of giving up on Civ IV

I have been a fan of the Civ series since it came out in 1991, but I just haven't gotten into Civ IV like I would like. I enjoyed Civ III even though it had problems and many people disliked it. I was glad to hear of a new version, but I just haven't gotten addicted to this one like all the others.

I tried playing it again last week and I felt like I was just going through the motions, doing those things that were necessary to build my civilization and beat the other civs but I never felt like I was a part of it. Maybe my interests have changed and I simply don't like the game concept as much (I doubt it), but more likely it is because I don't feel connected to my civilization or my opponents.

Maybe it is the promotions of military units that make it feel like more of a RTS that I don’t like. I just loved transitioning from Knights to Dragoons in Civ II because I felt like I could feel the march of historical progress. Now it is Lvl3+++ axemen with bonuses against melee units, upgrading (cause you don’t want to lose that experience) to whatever. Bleh. And then the later units just fly by as a series of power increases.

I don’t feel connected to my Civ very much. Sure UUs (and if I get Warlords, UBs) make each civ different. I want uniqueness, but I feel like I select my civ simply on the traits of the leader and those unique elements, but don’t really feel each civ as being different once I get into the game. The “people” who were once annoying brats, rebelling at the slightest inconvenience, now are simply represented in my mind by a set of food/hunger and health/disease ratios. I feel more like a bean counter than a ruler. My advisors were once kinda charming talking heads giving repetitive, but sometimes helpful advice, now they are simply a series of clickable icons in the upper right. I know they haven’t changed that much from Civ III, but that is how I see them in Civ IV.
    Alias rules!

Part II:

Also I feel disconnected from my opponents. They are simply obstacles. They either hate me or tolerate me based on my religion, civics, etc. They demand stuff or trade stingily, but I don't feel like I can really interact with them or build an understanding. We all know that Civ has never been known for great diplomacy, but I am just more disappointed than I expected to be after all I heard about its development, and in previous Civs I could overlook this part because of how much I loved the rest of the game.

So, that is how I see Civ IV right now. I would prefer to see it in a much better light. I would like to like it as much as any of the others, to be addicted like all the others, but I just don’t think that will happen. I guess I can always look forward to Civ V.

If any of you guys have some comments that might help me see the joy of the game, the unique touches that should endear it to me once again, please share them.
    Alias rules!

Comment

I hear ya, man. These are exactly the same gripes I have with Civ4 (especially the RTS thing ). I am no longer a "Civ addict" like I used to be, in the days of Civ 1 and 2.

But, I still love it

My advice is to try it a little longer. Play on marathon - I find the problems I have with the game are amplified on "normal" (yeah, right ) speed. And every now and then, as you feel the passion fading (which will invariably happen), bump up the difficulty level, play as Romans, build up some Praets, declare war on all your neighbours, and go down in a blaze of flaming glory. It does wonders.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I don't really find CivIV better or worse than previous incarnations. The military being more complex is probably an improvement but it is still not too difficult to beat the **** out of the AI's. At least something of a combined arms approach is now needed instead of just masses of one decisive type of unit.

I do find playing on Epic much better than Normal speed as your civ gets more time to develop (Marathon is too much for me). Also random leaders and fractal maps help as it becomes a challenge of playing what you got rather than an "ideal" civ.

Warlords is somewhat an improvement. The AI seems a little better. The UU's are mostly toned down (too much so in some cases) and the UB's add some nice touches (play the Ottomans, capture a city and think to yourself "how can these degenerate savages not bathe - let's have some baths at the end of that aqueduct so we have a Hammam and can be civilised").

Play around with some of the unusual maps, try a team game perhaps. Just experiment a bit and see if you can find something challenging that gets your interest.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
          At least something of a combined arms approach is now needed instead of just masses of one decisive type of unit.
          That's not true at all...

It helps, once you have some type of artillery to bring some along, but you can just as easily take a city with single-unit stacks of doom. I've done it dozens of times. It's easiest pre-artillery with axemen or swordsmen, after that I've used knights. After that I'm not too sure because I've only played a few games that far without getting bored and starting a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by alms66

That's not true at all...

It helps, once you have some type of artillery to bring some along, but you can just as easily take a city with single-unit stacks of doom. I've done it dozens of times. It's easiest pre-artillery with axemen or swordsmen, after that I've used knights. After that I'm not too sure because I've only played a few games that far without getting bored and starting a new one.
            The lower difficulties are meant to teach, not challenge. Get out of them and your single unit stacks of doom will fail, unless it's praetorians.

OP, I don't understand how you can feel disconnected from your opponents. Each one has an entirely unique AI, and there's tricks to being friendly with many of them. Just because they're a bit stingy doesn't make me feel disconnected from them, they're AI's, they need the boost (or you're playing on a very high difficulty and want the challenge). There are many games where I was allied with the same few AI the entire game, and they never felt like obstacles to me.

Comment

Unless your opponent has any intelligence and hits you with a couple siege units, rendering your SOD worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Unless your opponent has any intelligence and hits you with a couple siege units, rendering your SOD worthless.
                I've never seen it happen, with the AI anyway.

Comment

Stacks of doom are still the deciding factor.

Starts early with catapaults.... You get a big enough stack and it doesnt matter what you face. You just keep whittling them down. The collatoral damage eventually makes any unit weak enough to kill.

Tanks later on with collatoral damage upgrades will tear any modern country to shreds in short order if you stockpile enough of them.
                  DONT MAKE BANANA ANGRY !

Comment

Starts early with catapaults.... You get a big enough stack and it doesnt matter what you face.

Until a few catapults hit your stack, reducing your catapults to half strength at best.

With enough warrior you can take down any unit, too, but it won't be cost-effective at all.

Comment

Aren't siege units immune to collateral damage now in warlords?
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If his stack is only Catapults it's dead anyway.

Comment

I was trying to get back into Civ4 after a break ... just can't do it.

While I was away, I found my old Civ2 CD and had a blast replaying it.

Civ4 doesn't really compare any more, it doesn't have the lasting impression. In Civ2 you could build lots of stuff in the ancient era, and have proper ancient era wars, but Civ4 just feels like a clinical dash towards the end, like a race which happens to draw on elements of history rather than a simulation of history itself.

Civ4 is too mechanical. I just cannot seem to get any good wars in before 975 BCE. It's frustrating to see the early era, which is the most interesting, fade away, only for there to be an abnormally long medieval period. Renaissance era is good but in 99% of my games the industrial age is like a cold bath: IN and then OUT in a flash. The modern age drags on, and on, and on ....

Comment

Alms66 needs to play on a higher level to see AI SODs, feints, and unit-appropriate attacks. Not sure how to help ometiklan except to recommend marathon.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Even though it can sometimes get humorous since the AI cycles through units when moving so your stack may get attacked by some units and then the seige unit attacks and you're wondering, gee maybe that should have been first.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X