Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Panama Canal or Strait of Suez?

Everyone:

Is it just me, or is it not possible to move ships through the Panama Canal or Strait of Suez areas on the Earth map that ships with Civ IV?

I've tried repeatedly and, WRT to the Panama Canal, the ships/subs end up going into some sort of automated trip around the southern tip of South America in order to get to the other side of where the Panama Canal should be.

If this is the case, is there a way to get around it? Or am I missing something really elementary in nature, which is entirely possible since I've only been playing for three weeks now.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Build a city on a one square think piece of land and becomes a canal.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

There are numerous threads about workers being able to build canals and straights, but none have been implemented thusfold.

Comment

nope, no way to get through those areas. You'll see it's one continous piece of land.

you can build a city on the narrow part, and that will allow passage. Though usually the ai will place the city on the wrong part in the Suez area. You'd have to take over the city, raze it, and then build a new one.

Comment

Darn it! That makes warmongering even more difficult! Heh. Oh, well. The map *is* correct, though: Prior to the canals being built, there was no way for ships to cross said land, unless it was disassembled and carried over by its crew.

That gives me even more incentive to put cities on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of North America.

Gatekeeper

P.S. This game's growing on me. Still, Civ II holds a special place in my heart.
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

glad to see you are enjoying the game.

If anyone knows of an earth map with all the civs placed, I'd be interested. I'm bored of the earth map in the game.

In fact, I'd even go for a less "realistic" earth map that is more balanced. As it is, Europe civs just totally dominate the game. Except the greeks, they get fenced in and are screwed.

Comment

Earth with civs placed would be cool, but my machine does not handle huge maps well, especially with more than 11 civs. Still, the concept would be fun.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                glad to see you are enjoying the game.

If anyone knows of an earth map with all the civs placed, I'd be interested. I'm bored of the earth map in the game.

In fact, I'd even go for a less "realistic" earth map that is more balanced. As it is, Europe civs just totally dominate the game. Except the greeks, they get fenced in and are screwed.
                Dont know if this is what you are looking for but here is one I found after a bit of searching:

As requested by some users, here is my Earth map with all the 18 civs unlocked, in their starting locations.

Rhye stated that:
                As requested by some users, here is my Earth map with all the 18 civs unlocked, in their starting locations.
                Siga El Conejo Blanco
                Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

no prob, hope it works out I think I may give it a shot myself once I get done with the game I am currently playing.
                    Siga El Conejo Blanco
                    Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                    | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

The implementation of canals has been discussed and proposed in both the Lists and has great support out there, but for some reason Firaxis hasn't implemented it.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

They hate Apolyton suggestions. We are such annoying little *****es.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                          The implementation of canals has been discussed and proposed in both the Lists and has great support out there, but for some reason Firaxis hasn't implemented it.
                          Because it really wouldn't add much to the game as a game.

Comment

Hmm. I think Rhye's 18-civ Earth map shipped with the Macintosh version of Civ IV. There were two "all-Earth" maps with the game: one with eight civilizaations (mainly "Old World" ones) and another with all 18 civilizations in their historically correct starting points.

There's also an awesome European map that'll rock once I get tired of playing the all-Earth maps.

My dream map, though, is a Civ IV version of the "Northern Hemisphere" map that was made for Civ II. Insofar as I know, it doesn't yet exist for Civ IV.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                            X