Things still missing from Civ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things still missing from Civ...

Two things still bug me that were implemented in civ 3 and then taken back out.

1. Fusion power stopping nuclear reactors going critical. I am still not sure which power station is worth building. Its seems Coal plants as you can eliminate their polution.

2. Pollution created by people. In large map late games, pollution seems to become unstoppable, as there is no equivalent of mass transit, which eliminated this kind of pollution.

Is global warming random? Or is it relative to pollutants?
    The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Global warming is enabled for every nuke launched or nuclear meltdown. The probability of GW occuring in a turn increases per nuke launch/meltdown.

You are right, the pollution created by people is annoying, but I never used Fusion that way in Civ 3 anyway, so I don't know about that.

Comment

Just research into the future, gives an extra health/completed tech.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Im sorry, I dont understand how this helps?

Health just makes your cities grow even bigger by making less food unavaiable, and does not affect pollution generated by people.
        The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Pollution generated by people = unhealth, which is countered by health. So +1health balances +1unhealth from population
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

People don't create pollution on the map, just in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              People don't create pollution on the map, just in the city.
              Sorry, you are all missing the point I am making, what contributes to global warming?

There is no "pollution" on the map, but I thought the level of pollution each city generates contributes to global warming.

Health has no effect on this.

Comment

Pollution as it existed in previous civ games was removed. In its place health was created. When a city exceeds the health cap it becomes unhealthy which will start causing additional food to be used up.

Global Warming randomly occurs on tiles and has a certain chance of happening every turn, it begins at a 0% chance. This chance increases with every nuclear explosion that takes place, wether thats from an ICBM or a Nuclear Plant. When global warming occurs it hits randomly and isn't affected by each cities health.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer

Sorry, you are all missing the point I am making, what contributes to global warming?

There is no "pollution" on the map, but I thought the level of pollution each city generates contributes to global warming.

Health has no effect on this.
                  I have already answered that question about global warming.

"Pollution" does not exist anymore. Fallout, which is it's replacement is caused by nuclear explosions, having nothing to do with global warming at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brael
                    Global Warming randomly occurs on tiles and has a certain chance of happening every turn, it begins at a 0% chance. This chance increases with every nuclear explosion that takes place, wether thats from an ICBM or a Nuclear Plant. When global warming occurs it hits randomly and isn't affected by each cities health.
                    I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. I've had Global Warming occur without any meltdown or nuclear explosion. Unless of course the meltdown occured with some other civs reactors. There were certainly no explosions.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. I've had Global Warming occur without any meltdown or nuclear explosion. Unless of course the meltdown occured with some other civs reactors. There were certainly no explosions.
                      Weird that you are so sure that that's not the way it works while in the same post you give the right explanation for that 'unexplained' global warming you experienced.

You don't get any message of meltdowns in the other civs cities. So wheneven another civ has reached Fission you can expect global warming.

Comment

Okay, that starts to make a little sense. I presumed global warming followed the same rules as civ3, and was increased by pollution.

There is a huge ai bug (which I mentioned in another thread). When any barbarian city appears, any AI civ seems to launch its entire nuclear arsenal at it (40+ nukes!).

I am not sure if this is because they (the barbarians)have no nuclear deterant, as I have been at war with them, and not been hit once.

Either way, its screwing up my game a little bit, and I am not sure how to reverse global warming. I try and scrub any fallout asap, but am loosing about 5 tiles a turn. Will scubbing the fallout reduce global warming, or are we past the point of no return?

Comment

Okay, that starts to make a little sense. I presumed global warming followed the same rules as civ3, and was increased by pollution.

There is a huge ai bug (which I mentioned in another thread). When any barbarian city appears, any AI civ seems to launch its entire nuclear arsenal at it (40+ nukes!).

I am not sure if this is because they (the barbarians)have no nuclear deterant, as I have been at war with them, and not been hit once.

Either way, its screwing up my game a little bit, and I am not sure how to reverse global warming. I try and scrub any fallout asap, but am loosing about 5 tiles a turn. Will scubbing the fallout reduce global warming, or are we past the point of no return?
                          AIs launch nukes at barbarians because doing so will not cause any diplomatic repercussions. There is no leader who will go, -1 "You launched a nuke at barbarians!"

While launching their entire arsenal is faulty AI, you can expect them to pound those cities to oblivion.

If you don't want global warming, become the secretary general and make a nuclear-proliferation resolution.

That, or ensure that nobody builds the manhattan project.

As mentioned above many, many, many times, the chance of global warming affecting any and all tiles increases per nuclear explosion or meltdown. It will not decrease. The only option you have is to finish the game quickly, but if you are losing 5 tiles a turn, the game should be pretty close to completion.

Comment

If you don't want global warming, become the secretary general and make a nuclear-proliferation resolution.
                            Another thing that needs to be changed, is that with diplomatic victory turned off, none of these options are available.

I hate the thought of any kind of diplomatic victory, but dont understand why the option to deselect this removes the UN completely.

SMAC had the whole thing worked out perfectly, turning of diplomatic victories meeant leaving all the other diplomatic options still in the game.

Comment

You can adjust the odds of it happening in GlobalDefines.xml if you want. I believe the default is 30%.

Comment

Working...
                              X