Combat odds - a question with some guesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat odds - a question with some guesses

I could simply set this up on World Builder but raising the question might make be useful for others.

In combat odds, I've noticed that the printed numbers seem a little odd. For example, a CRII Praet attacking a Axemen defender (Combat I, fortified, cultural defense 27%) had attack of 8.00 v 8.35 with something like a 36% chance of winning.

Now apart from the fact that 36% looks little low with 8.00 v 8.35 - maybe it's not - I've come up with an explanation why my Praet only got 8.00 and not 8 + 45% = 11.60. My guess is that the 45% raider bonus get's deducted from the axeman bonus.

So Axemen fights at 5.00 (+50%+10%+25%+27%-45%)
    = 5.00 + 67% = 8.35.

If we were to go further, I might even presume that all bonuses are first totalled and the lower value is not added to that unit but deducted from the bonus of the higher unit. This could be important when unit values are so different since the deduction from a unit will lower strength has a much smaller effect than adding it to a high strength unit.

This could have a significant impact on city raiders who are typically stronger than the defending units. Take, for example, a Mace CR III vs Longbow CG I, fortified on hill

Mace has Mace has 75% while Longbow has 120%. With the values added to each unit, this is 14.00 v 13.20. If the 75% is deducted from the 120% it becomes 8.00 vs 8.70 (very much a losing battle).

Of course, this is probably not just a warlords feature but the appearances of the figures makes it new to me.

Universal bonuses (i.e., Combat X) increase the attacker's strength. Others subtract from the defender's strength. I don't have an Apolyton link, but there's lots more information on CFC:

Ahh…fighting. Love it or hate it, there will be times it’s part of your Civ-ing career. This article attempts to explain a bit about how combat is figured, discusses some “jump points” where your odds of success change dramatically with a very small change in strength...

Comment

Working...
    X