The Space Elevator Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Space Elevator Problem

It seems to me the building the Space Elevator is crucial for achieving Space Race Victory, esp. when your strongest opponent has twice more cities than you have.

However, it always happens to me that after obtaining respective tech I am not allowed to build it in the city I want, only in selected cities. Las game, I got 7 cities and I could build it only in my worst production city! Believe me, it is not funny since it takes 2000 hammers in Normal mode to build it...

I did not find any restricton on this in Civilopedia. Anyone knows the reason?

There is a restriction mentioned in Civilopedia: you can only build it at a maximum latitude of 30 degrees, on both sides of the Equator. I don't think you can actually see latitude and longitude on the map, but this means, if you divide the map in 3 equal horizontal parts, you can only build it in the middle one.
    The monkeys are listening.

Comment

If you do not like this restriction because it is not easily possible to verify in-game whether a particular city around the 30% border fits the criterion except for trying to build the Space Elevator there, it is easy to change: The setting is iMaxLatitude in Assets\XML\Buildings\Civ4BuildingInfos.xml , and you can change it to 90. Of course, then any civ can build the Space Elevator in an arbitrary city.

Comment

Thans for help, I looked on my last games and it really seemed that there could be such a rule.

However, I double-checked the Civilopedia and I did not find any notice about that...

Comment

The civilopedia mentions it. Have you updated your game to the latest version? 1.61. I believe the rule was omitted from the civilopedia in the initial version of the game, and then added later. Of course I may remember wrong...

In any case, the rule is stated in red under Space Elevator in the civilopedia.

Comment

If he wasn't playing 1.61, it wouldn't be in the Civilopedia because the rule didn't apply.

Comment

No, I know that it applied, but if hypothetically it wasn't in the Civilopedia, it wouldn't be a rule.

Sorry, just my logic talking.

Comment

Working...
              X