Explorer upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer upgrades

They become useless as we all know, I can only remember ever building one and I think that was because it was the best unit I could rush build that turn and I had to have someone in a city.

Anyway, I reckon they should upgrade to either some sort of ambassador that can move freely in any nation you aren't at war with or into some kind of special forces unit. As it is, they are pretty pointless, but maybe if they had a future they'd be more useful.
    www.neo-geo.com

The only use is if you get a scout some medic promotions against the animals then them to an explorer. Then the can move with your stacks with little risk of being attacked. But yes it would be nice if there was something else you could do with them later in the game.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Stick them in a stack so you can have an expendable guy to scout forward and back when you advance? Ive never tried it but cant see why it wouldnt work.

I know explorers can be a PITA when you get them free on later starts and they end up fortified in your wooded hills.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Hmm. I hadn't thought of using an Explorer as a medic with stacks. Maybe they'd be a great unit to stick a Great General on for those of us that use them for Medic 3 promotions. Would leave them until last so they don't accidently defend and die ><
        - Dregor

Comment

I do use them as medics, but really, I'd rather have a unit which is a medic first and a figher second, one of the cavalry units or something.
          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            The only use is if you get a scout some medic promotions against the animals then them to an explorer. Then the can move with your stacks with little risk of being attacked.
            If you have a medic scout why upgrade it to an explorer?

Explorers are niche units, restricted to weird settings where unexplored space remains later in the game - terra is the best example altough I've had a few games with large unexplored and uncolonized jungles.

Comment

Because i had the money to spare. It did help me once when I extended an injured stack a bit far out against quite inferior oppentents. It was on good defensive terrain and the last unit the AI had to attack with ended up attacking the explorerer since he was still fresh. The explorer won where another unit in the stack might have been destroyed. Granted it's a rare occasion, but what the heck.

In hind sight, it's probably best not to do that.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have yet to build an explorer. What's the point of them again?

Comment

to provide a upgraded scout unit for uncovering the map. Theres no way in hell Im trading my map with most players, so that means I have to get my own map the hard way
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

What I find funny is how the game automatically gives you an explorer to start with when you begin a "future" game.

Maybe for reasons stated above.

Comment

A field hospital unit upgrade would be pretty nifty to get though, could be military tradition or medicine or something.
                      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by dregor
                        Hmm. I hadn't thought of using an Explorer as a medic with stacks. Maybe they'd be a great unit to stick a Great General on for those of us that use them for Medic 3 promotions. Would leave them until last so they don't accidently defend and die ><
                        I have a funny feeling scouts and explorers cannot receive GG.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                        X