Civics, religion, and diplomacy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civics, religion, and diplomacy.

Greetings, all. Having (finally) picked up Civ 4 after forcing myself to put off the purchase in the interest of actually being able to be otherwise productive, I am now hopelessly obsessed with it, just as I expected.

I have lots of experience with Civ 1, Civ 2, and AC, as well as a bit with Civ 3, and I'm really enjoying the simplified system in Civ 4. As yet I've mostly gotten the feel for civics and religion, but there's one question I still have: do these affect my relationships with other civs outside of their opinions of me? In other words, are there any benefits to sharing a common religion or civic set with an computer-controlled civilization, apart from improving my standing with them?

If not, it seems a tad artificial - if there's no tangible benefits, I don't care what religion/civics the other civs maintain, making it simply a reason for the other civs to build up enough animosity to attack me. Of course this is looking at it from a wholly technical viewpoint, not a real-world one.

Thanks for any answers - I'm looking forward to improving my appreciation of the game through the vast resources here!

B

No additional benefit, but that diplomacy boost can be huge, particularly when you're not (yet) the most powerful.
    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

If you share a religion you founded and have the prophet-generated building, you can "see" all the cities of the same religion. This provides military intelligence. Additionally, each city with the religion generates a gold piece a round at that building, providing an incentive to generate missionaries.

Diplomatic bonuses can be quite useful with the spiritual civs, as are penalties if you don't share religions. These affect the techs and resources available from those civs.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

In terms of actual game mechanics, there's no benefit (that I know of) to sharing a civic in common with another civilization. Except Emancipation of course (I hate Emancipation!).

As for religions, someone already mentioned the seeing ability of the holy city wonder if you make it your state religion. And if you are at war with a civ, there is additional unhappiness in all of your cities that have the religion that is their state religion.

In terms of AI personality fussy-ness however, I'm sure you already know that religion matters a great deal, but civics can occasionally matter too in the case the AI's "favorite civic".

Like Tokugawa and his Mercantilism. I run Mercantilism frequently, so if Tokugawa AI is in the game, I make an effort to make him my buddy -- since I already know I'll be getting a boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
          If you share a religion you founded and have the prophet-generated building, you can "see" all the cities of the same religion.
          You don't need the Great Prophet generated building for seeing the cities, you just need the holy city.
          Building the GP building adds the benefit of +1 gold per city with your State Religion.

Comment

I would like it if 'close borders' with a heathen civ led to unhappiness in the cities whose culture was coming up against the heathens. Something, anything, to make me feel remotely as angry as Isabella when some other faith is knocking around.
            www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I don't think there could ever be anyone as angry (or cowardly and petulant) as Isabella.

Seriously, she needs a good a flogging -- drive those demons out.

Comment

Izzie's OK if you share her religion and ally in a war or two with her. Makes a good ally, in fact, because she's so sniffy at trading with anyone else there's more to trade with you.

Comment

To clarify on the civics - there are big diplo bonuses to be had by running their favourite civic while they are. This info is in the 'pedia under each leader.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd
                    I would like it if 'close borders' with a heathen civ led to unhappiness in the cities whose culture was coming up against the heathens. Something, anything, to make me feel remotely as angry as Isabella when some other faith is knocking around.
                    Yeah, this is exactly the kind of tangible effect of having a different religion from my neighbors that I'd like to see. I suppose that being able to see other cities practicing a religion for which I have the holy city is useful, but it's hardly benefit enough to justify getting as annoyed as the AI players do. Isn't it something like -3 or -4 against (which is close to the same as when you've declared war on them in the past)?

B

Comment

Maybe just someone having the holy city for your faith when it is not their state religion should have an impact - your people furious that the heathens hold their shrines.

The negative varies with the civ, Isabella can be about -7 I think. While Ghandi for previous war can be as low as -2 as I recall.
                      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

the civics you have do matter to other civilizations. it seems that you get +1 reaction for each civic you have in common. you dont get a penalty for having different civics, but you will get a -1 for refusing to change civics when they ask for it.

sharing religion is important. in the early game, a common religion is often the dividing line between allie and enemy. having a religion in common can give you a positive reaction modifier from +1 up to +7, and a negative one of up to -5. also, cities that have your religion in them are more likely to culture flip. furthermore, the gold generated by a holy city can really be a deciding factor, especially early game. missionaries are cheap, so i just crank them out and send them everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X