No announcement yet.

Why Civ4 tech tree arrows don't match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Civ4 tech tree arrows don't match?

After all this time, I will mention this Civ4 tech tree never made sense to me. Its those arrows, shows one tech pointing to another, so leads you to think, ok I just research that one tech, then it shows I can go to the other. Wrong. When you select the tech, a bunch of other techs that according to the way the tech tree lines them up, you don't need but then it has to research them. This never did make sense to me. Why don't the arrows show that tech if it is needed to research the other one? These arrows! Its almost like maybe some are missing?

Checkout if a new game is started... why when I select preisthood, I don't need polytheism? The way the arrows point on the tech tree, it looks as if you need to research polytheism. Also... if I select monotheism, it makes me research masonry and mining. It looks like all I need is mysticism and polytheism then I can get monotheism, the way the arrows point. This just never made sense.
    Last edited by PrinceBimz; August 14, 2006, 23:27.
    -PrinceBimz-

Re: Why Civ4 tech tree arrows don't match?

Originally posted by PrinceBimz
    Its almost like maybe some are missing?
    I think you're missing the icons on the top right of the tech descriptions.

Comment

Yah, the icons in the upper right of the tech space are mandatory requirements. You only need ONE of techs with arrows that point to it, plus any mandatory technology.

Comment

Some additional prereq arrows would make the tech tree complete though
        Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

If they made the tech tree 3d then they wouldnt have a problem, like the super smash bros melee character screen
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

You only need one of the techs with an arrow plus all the techs with an icon in the upper right corner.
            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
            The video may avatar is from

Comment

The printed chart may be easier to read for you then - it uses a different approach. On the printed techtree, you need all the prerequisites connected by black lines and one of the prerequisites connected by color (non-black) connections.

Comment

You know what guys? For some reason, I have never payed attention to those icons in the top right of the techs. All of this time I never even knew that. I always just looked at the arrows and wondered why things never did match up. Guess that clears it up.
                -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Glad we could help!
                  It's nice to have an occasional thread with a conclusion or closure.

Comment

I don't think I noticed that at first as well. And it's weird that some techs seem to have optional prereqs. Music for example.

Comment

do double click on the tech you plan to research. It will tell you what are the prereqs tech. Along with the estimated turns to complete.

I use this all the time, especially when leading the tech prior to key tech like Liberalism, Rifling etc.

Comment

Yeah, but the problem with that is it changes all the pre-selected techs I had setup.

The "right-click to pedia" changes my selection. in Vanilla it ruined the selection. Then in 1.5 it was fixed. Then in 1.61 it's broken again. I haven't tried it in Warlords yet.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                          I don't think I noticed that at first as well. And it's weird that some techs seem to have optional prereqs. Music for example.
                          Not wierd, revolutionary and inspired design!

The OR-gates is one of the features that make Civ 4 so varied. If you'd missed the point of that it might partly explain why you were getting bored of it (as think you were saying on another thread).

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
                            The printed chart may be easier to read for you then - it uses a different approach. On the printed techtree, you need all the prerequisites connected by black lines and one of the prerequisites connected by color (non-black) connections.
                            Hey, vondrack! Good to see ya!

btw - If you want to join GS in the C4DG, we'd be honoured I'm sure. Just drop nye a note - no obligation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                              Hey, vondrack! Good to see ya!

btw - If you want to join GS in the C4DG, we'd be honoured I'm sure. Just drop nye a note - no obligation.
                              Hi there, CH!

Having recently moved to a new house, I've got little time to civ (having become sort of a craftsman recently). I usually just skim through fora to smell the atmosphere a bit - and then I'm back to nails, screws, and tools...

And consequently, it's not that much effort to remain true to my promise to never join a DG again...

Comment

Working...
                              X