Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to properly attack and take over an enemy city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

me too, they vere not very aggressive about it but they
    attacked city with planes and choppers
    Hmm........Is this a good idear ?

Comment

Just reiterating what others said so that you do not miss the crucial piece of advice: catapults (siege units in general) work in a special way in CIV. Using siege units properly is key to taking cities now.

a) start with bombarding city defenses down to 0% (catapults, unpromoted or Accuracy-promoted)
      b) if possible, use some dispensable siege units to weaken defenders (preferrably Barrage-promoted)
      c) send in your non-siege units (City Raider promotions help in general, or - if you know what the defender will be, use the proper counter-promotion... like Cover to attack archers/longbows, Shock against axes/swords/spears etc.)

When attacking, siege units not only engage "their" defender in close combat, but they also automatically inflict damage to a couple of other units in the defending stack - it's called collateral damage. Attacking siege units inflict collateral damage no matter whether they win or lose their fights. Collateral damage makes the defending stack gradually weaker and more likely to be overcome by your later attacks.

Also - bombard the city for how many turns you can afford to get its defenses as low as possible, but try to complete your final assault in one turn, so that defenders have no time to heal.

Comment

c) send in your non-siege units (City Raider promotions help in general, or - if you know what the defender will be, use the proper counter-promotion... like Cover to attack archers/longbows, Shock against axes/swords/spears etc.)

In general you shouldn't take the counter-promotions unless you're Agressive and only have 1 promotion to give your units when they come out - the 25% from Cover/Shock is slightly better than the 20% from City Raider I. Cover and Shock require Combat I though, so if you're not Agressive the 20% for City Raider I + the 25% for City Raider II is better than Combat I and Cover/Shock (and City Raider I is much better than Combat I), plus leaves you open to get City Raider III.

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
          Just reiterating what others said so that you do not miss the crucial piece of advice: catapults (siege units in general) work in a special way in CIV. Using siege units properly is key to taking cities now.

a) start with bombarding city defenses down to 0% (catapults, unpromoted or Accuracy-promoted)
          b) if possible, use some dispensable siege units to weaken defenders (preferrably Barrage-promoted)

When attacking, siege units not only engage "their" defender in close combat, but they also automatically inflict damage to a couple of other units in the defending stack - it's called collateral damage. Attacking siege units inflict collateral damage no matter whether they win or lose their fights. Collateral damage makes the defending stack gradually weaker and more likely to be overcome by your later attacks.

Also - bombard the city for how many turns you can afford to get its defenses as low as possible, but try to complete your final assault in one turn, so that defenders have no time to heal.

Huge advice!
          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceBimz
            I have seen the AI use aircraft in several games, bombed the heck out of me. I have seen them use carriers too and more then once.
            At what level do they start to use them? Im playing prince
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

In general you shouldn't take the counter-promotions unless you're Agressive and only have 1 promotion to give your units when they come out - the 25% from Cover/Shock is slightly better than the 20% from City Raider I. Cover and Shock require Combat I though, so if you're not Agressive the 20% for City Raider I + the 25% for City Raider II is better than Combat I and Cover/Shock (and City Raider I is much better than Combat I), plus leaves you open to get City Raider III.
              Sorry for not putting it very well... I meant "out of the units you can attack with, look for ones with City Raider or suitable counter-promotions". Building and using a properly promoted stack is kind of an art, which I do not really excel in...

Comment

Ah, yes. You should have some of those in the stack to counter enemies in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
                  Or, if you are playing Warlords, AND you KNOW you are going to win ...
                  If any of your units lose in an assault, DON'T complete your conquest that turn. LET the enemy unit(s) heal and possibly be promoted. Gives you more opportunity to gain experience points towards a great general.

I just thought of it, so No, I haven't seriously considered (or used) it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

This would depend though wouldn't it? If you have the production to get out multiple types of units this is great but when your enemy is running around with axemen, a Combat 1+Shock unit is going to be alot more deadly in general than a CR2 unit, sure it will be 10% worse at attacking cities but it's going to be 35% better outside of that.

Comment

Jaybe, why would you want a GG if you are going to win? What you suggested is only for wasting time, and possibly units.

Comment

Originally posted by Brael
                        This would depend though wouldn't it? If you have the production to get out multiple types of units this is great but when your enemy is running around with axemen, a Combat 1+Shock unit is going to be alot more deadly in general than a CR2 unit, sure it will be 10% worse at attacking cities but it's going to be 35% better outside of that.
                        Until you run into an archer.

Comment

Originally posted by Prussia
                          Jaybe, why would you want a GG if you are going to win? What you suggested is only for wasting time, and possibly units.
                          I thought the poster meant, win the war against that civ, not against all the others.

Until you run into an archer.
                          Right, but if you're fighting a mix, or you're encountering archers in the field thats a different situation than what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Prussia
                            For some people, perhaps the purpose is just to "win the game" and do it as efficiently as possible. Use game theory, and all that muck.

For others, it might be the journey, NOT the destination. Try out different tactics or strategy. The act of being declared the winner (or declaring it for yourself) lasts how many seconds (or minutes)? Compare that with the 40-60+ hours I spend on a huge/marathon game; role playing, enjoying the process (or not).

Regarding "wasting time," your remark is offensive to me and game players in general. Others may determine for themselves what is appropriate. You are qualified to determine what is a waste of time only for yourself, perhaps your children or underlings at work, not anyone else.

--
                            Brael, I was referring only to taking that city at the time I posted it. Being comfortable with the war in general would also apply, however. I still haven't actually applied that thought, but I haven't been in a war since that time either.

Comment

I apologize, when I meant "wasting time," I was referring to using up turns to make the game faster and give the opponent less time to make a come back militarily.

I have tried your strategy, and I admit it is a nice alternative. It rarely works, but when it does, it gives a little more flavor to the game.

As to wasting units, it sometimes DOES waste units, since the enemy's soldiers get strong enough that some of your units die in the process.

I did not mean the post to be offensive in any way; it was merely an unobjective observation.

Comment

That's okay, Prussia. After I cooled down, I realized you had pushed a button/struck a nerve, whatever. I often spend 4 to 6+ hours each day at Civ, "killing" time.

EDIT: Post# 2999

Comment

Working...
                                X