Farming without fresh water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farming without fresh water

It's the middle ages. Recently Xian defected. Two grassland squares north of Xian have no fresh water sorce, but strangly I can farm them. Here is the terrain surronding one square:

South: Desert, Xian
    Southwest: Grassland, Hill, Jungle
    West: Grassland (farmable)
    Northwest: Grassland, Jungle
    North: Grassland, Forest
    Northeast: Grassland
    East: Plain, Hill
    Southeast: Desert

I do have Civil Service. My best Guesses to why I could farm the square are: Xian was settled on an Oasis, but it went away when it settled, but I was under the impresion you couldn't settle on an Oasis. Or that Irrigation is being carried through Xian (there is a farm South of Xian). Are there anyother guesses?

If you want a screenshot you'll have to tell me how to take them. Whenever I press printscreen the curser just starts blinking.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Irrigation is carried through cities.

Comment

Okay, I didn't expect that would be it.
      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Oasis provides fresh water to adjacant tiles (it only matters when it's oasis next to non-desert).

Cities do propagate irrigation, but only if the tile can normally be farmed - a city on desert or hill will not.

Comment

Isn't it odd that you can irrigate from an oasis, but you can't irrigate the oasis itself?

Comment

It is odd. I think it's mostly to give the city founded next to an oasis fresh water.

Comment

Originally posted by playshogi
              Isn't it odd that you can irrigate from an oasis, but you can't irrigate the oasis itself?
              Well, realistically, oasis is a water hole in the desert - there is nothing really to irrigate/farm there, but it is a water source with some trees etc. around it.
              The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
              - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                Cities do propagate irrigation, but only if the tile can normally be farmed - a city on desert or hill will not.
                So that's it! I had wondered about this. I had expected cities to ALWAYS propagate irrigation, and I've been confused a couple times when they didn't -- so I started suspecting that maybe they never do, and tested it a few times to see they did -- so I just resigned myself to the uncertainty.

But that's got to be it.

Comment

Working...
                X