City Defense -- Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Defense -- Need Help

Hi! I need help understanding which kind of defense is cumulative and which isn't as far as city defense is concerned.

I understand that cultural defense is NOT cumulative with physical defense (walls and castles).

I also understand that whichever of the two (cultural and physical) is higher stands as the defense percentage for the city. Thus, as I understand it, a cultural defense of 60% is better than the 50% that walls give and, in fact, makes the building of walls unnecessary.

However, what I don't understand is the effect of the "city garrison" promotion given to archery units. Is it cumulative with physical defense (walls and castles)? Is it cumulative with cultural defense? Or does it stand alone; i.e., is it worthwhile only if there are no walls, castles, or cultural defense?

Also, can any of you tell me the amount of the city defense bonus that each advance in culture gives, i.e.,

0-9 gives 0% city defense bonus (from what I've observed)
    10-99 gives ? (20%?)
    100-499 gives ? (40%?)
    500-4999 gives ? (60%?)
    5000-49,999 gives ? (80%?)
    50,000+ gives ? (100%?)

Thanks
    StarGazer

Re: City Defense -- Need Help

Originally posted by StarGazer
    Also, can any of you tell me the amount of the city defense bonus that each advance in culture gives, i.e.,

0-9 gives 0% city defense bonus (from what I've observed)
    10-99 gives ? (20%?)
    100-499 gives ? (40%?)
    500-4999 gives ? (60%?)
    5000-49,999 gives ? (80%?)
    50,000+ gives ? (100%?)
    These are correct for normal speed. For other speeds, the threshold values vary (Defense bonus depends on culture level, not directly on the culture amount.).

I also understand that whichever of the two (cultural and physical) is higher stands as the defense percentage for the city. Thus, as I understand it, a cultural defense of 60% is better than the 50% that walls give and, in fact, makes the building of walls unnecessary.
    If this is true, walls might make sense nevertheless, because bombardment may bring down culture defense to lower values than wall defense.

Comment

I think bombardment lowers simultaneously cultural and physical

defences.

Best regards,

Comment

Re: Re: City Defense -- Need Help

Originally posted by phlucas

If this is true, walls might make sense nevertheless, because bombardment may bring down culture defense to lower values than wall defense.
        Hmm, is there somewhere in the CIV IV-Warlords code that I could find out exactly how bombardment affects physical and/or cultural defense?
        Last edited by StarGazer; August 11, 2006, 17:48.
        StarGazer

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943
          I think bombardment lowers simultaneously cultural and physical

defences.

Best regards,

I also believe that this is correct
          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Re: City Defense -- Need Help

Originally posted by StarGazer
            However, what I don't understand is the effect of the "city garrison" promotion given to archery units. Is it cumulative with physical defense (walls and castles)? Is it cumulative with cultural defense? Or does it stand alone; i.e., is it worthwhile only if there are no walls, castles, or cultural defense?
            City Garrison increases the unit's strength by x% when it is the defender in a city. This is regardless of other situations. Exception: City Raider reduces the defender's strength.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
            X