Breaking Up a Good Friendship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Up a Good Friendship

I am not the best strategist around here, that's for sure, but I haven't seen anybody talk on this subject, so I'll at least offer an opportunity.

The subject is Vassal States and Defense Pacts. Here is the situation I faced. I need space on the other continent to complete a domination win. The other continent had four AI players. Ragner was in peaceful Vassalage to Huana Capac. Huana was in Defense Pact with Shaka and Alexander. I was big enough to take on any one of them, although Shaka would have been a big challenge. I was probably big enough to take on two of them if one of them wasn't Shaka. I definitelty did not want all four coming at me. Everybody was my religion and everybody was all friendly or pleased with each other, even with me as I had been invading infidels. So I couldn't leverage any diplomatic issues.

To simplify. Civ A has a vassal state B. Civ A has two Defense Pact partners, Civs C and D. You need to invade. What do you do?

The answer I found was: Attack the Vassal. The Master State has to declare against you and that breaks the Defense Pacts with the other two. (If you attack the Master, you get four Civs against you. If you attack either Defense Pact partner, you get three Civs against you.)

This may seem obvious to others, and a lot of it is of course situational, but after spending 10 to fifteen minutes studying and fuming, I figured it out and went "I can do this!"

I added details like extra trades with the two ex-defense partners to dissuade them from dogpiling on me. (How uch effect does that really have, I wonder.) Also, I had an invasion force that had sailed around the world to get to the other side of that continent to attack the Vassal once I declared, with a second attack force ready to do the real job of striking the Master with an attack force that had an ongoing supply line of new units. Both Master and Vassal went for the first force and were badly out of position for the arrival of the real attack force. Best that I have ever pulled off the two front trick in any Civ game so far!

Anyway, I found out one way to deal with a massive mutual friendship that looked unassailable at first. If you have any experience or tips on how to break up other people's friendships then please add them here.

(This in game terms, we break up real life friendships all too easily as it is.)
    If you aren't confused,
    You don't understand.

Hmm I suppose it's a WAD, but I'm not sure it should really work like this. It makes it too easy to break multilateral alliances like this.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

Very intriguing. I hadn't considered the full range of diplomatic possibilities vassalage offers in regards to defense pacts.
      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good find!

In the patch we will change it so that when you declare war on the vassal, YOU will also automatically declare war on the master, thus activating the defensive pacts.

Comment

I don't think you should change it. It's the master's job to protect the vassal, and so it should be his/her responsibility to declare war on you.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Nice work!

What is WAD by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
              Good find!

In the patch we will change it so that when you declare war on the vassal, YOU will also automatically declare war on the master, thus activating the defensive pacts.
              Damn!
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by MoonWolf
                Nice work!

What is WAD by the way?
                Working As Designed - an opposite of a bug.
                - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  I don't think you should change it. It's the master's job to protect the vassal, and so it should be his/her responsibility to declare war on you.
                  It is too easy to exploit, imo, especially for a human player, who wants to declare war on the master, but doesn't want to fight his allies. Since, from the diplomatic point of view, a master and a vassal is considered a single entity (and, while I haven't checked it yet, I suppose a vassal cannot sign defensive pacts) this is only fair that an attack on a vassal is considered an attack on the master.
                  - Frank Herbert

Comment

not necessarily... a vassal is a state subjected to the master, but still a separate and (semi)independent state. a declaration of war on a vassal is not equal to a dow on the master as they are still separate nations. what the master must do however is come to the protection of those who would mess with his little puppet, if he has any honor that is. therefore the master gains a casus belli against the attacker and can choose to dow. or not to.
                    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

You want a really fun game?

Take a Large Map with a bunch of Civs and make the most intricate web of alliance, defensive pacts, and vassals and put on the agressive AI.

Then watch as hell is raised.

Comment

Seems like Vassals also are plotting against their master,
                        especially vassals which just got vassalized due to capitulation.

See Screenshot.
                        In this turn Roosevelt as well as Isabella, who both where vassalized by Brennus by capitulation urged me to stop trading with the vile Celts

But none of them dared to openly break with their master, they preferred to plot behind his back

The introduction of vassalization with Warlods makes relations between civs truely interesting
                        Attached Files
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yeah, I had ELizabeth one game as Ghandi's vassal urging me to attack him!

I think vassalage has added an excellent new dimension to the game and really enhances diplomacy.

In a recent Monarch game as Julius I was busy taking apart the previous game-leader, Louis, with my praetorians, but got overstretched and agreed peace to give me time to rebuild. While i'm doing this, Louis offers himself as a peaceful vassal to Shaka, who I'm not ready to take on.

Then Shaka launches an attack on Roosevelt. Roosevelt begs me to help, but I'm not quite ready, so I decline, but move my forces to the French/Zulu/Roman boarder. Then I strike at Louis with a grenadier/trebuchet hammer blow that reduces him to one city and means I can fight on one front. Shaka of course attacks me to protect his vassal, but only has a harassing force of knights to spare as his main force is over the other side of the continent taking on the Americans.

I manage to get sufficient defences in place to take down the knights after suffering serious economic damage, and Roosevelt (pleased by our "mutual military struggle") offers himself as a vassal to me. Instant catapult into the lead as we share techs (and I give him gunpowder to hold off the Zulus).

The Qin declares on me and Roosevelt comes to my aid! Needing to finish this fast I capture the last French city and make peace with Shaka - pulling my entire force to the other end of my empire to drive into Chinese territory.

This really had the feel of the ebb and flow of a world war as different sides got sucked into the maestrom (and over the other side of me, Ghandi stayed neutral and pulled himself up from bottom ranking to being my serious challenger for victory in the endgame).

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus

Working As Designed - an opposite of a bug.
                            Thanks

Wow, seems like I have a lot of cool vassal-stuff waiting to be explored! Ever-shifting alliances and unpredictable wars, nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
                              It is too easy to exploit, imo, especially for a human player, who wants to declare war on the master, but doesn't want to fight his allies. Since, from the diplomatic point of view, a master and a vassal is considered a single entity (and, while I haven't checked it yet, I suppose a vassal cannot sign defensive pacts) this is only fair that an attack on a vassal is considered an attack on the master.
                              The master should have the option to declare war or not, and if not, the vassal arrangement breaks.

If the master does declare war on you, there's no reason for his allies to help him; they signed defensive pacts with the master, not the vassal, so they shouldn't care if the vassal is attacked. As master, you would need to keep that in mind.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X