Inquisition. what a show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquisition. what a show!

I have an idea for a new game element that is far to politically incorrect for the game designers to put in: The Inquisition. I thought it would be cool if under Theocracy your Missionaries had an additional ability to 'begin inquisition' in any of your cities that practice non-state religions. This would convert or kill off a certain percent of the population that worships a non-state religion (a larger city with many religions may take a few missionaries). Once your empire has been cleansed of heathens, you could get an empire-wide production bonus. So the risk is killing a whole bunch of citizens, but the benefit is production bonus. It just irks me, especially under Theocracy, when my citizens are allowed to practice the religion of the infidel enemy.
    Watashi no atama wa mochi ni natta

This sounds like a really cool and creative idea, it'd be wicked if Firaxis checked this boards every now and then. =)

As long as there were also very negative costs of doing this, a fair amount of unhappiness, I would support it. The only problem would be making sure the amount of production and unhappiness adding were realistic.

But then again, everybody might be happy if there was just one religion, so there are things to wonder abotu this idea.
    Frieden, Land, Brot und Demokratie.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtix

As long as there were also very negative costs of doing this, a fair amount of unhappiness, I would support it.
      Oh yeah, I forgot that part. The city would receive a temporary unhappy penalty same as pop rushing while the Inquisitors are rounding up and iron maidening the citizens

Comment

Well, historically, Spanish Inquisition and banishment of Spanish Jews and Moors slowed Spain's development for centuries, rather than speed it up.
        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
        - Frank Herbert

Comment

The biggest problem with this is that it will be easy enough to create inquisitor units and purge religions but it will make spreading religion so much more difficult.

You can already only build three missionaries for a particular religion at a time. Putting them on ships and transporting them across the world is timely and costly. If it becomes easy to get rid of religions then it will ultimately be worthless trying to spread them.

Comment

The idea would be that you can only do it under Theocracy, so it wouldn't be so easy. Putting in an added likelihood for a city to regain a religion after it's been purged and the civ leaves Theocracy would be good, but I like data angel's idea anyway.

Comment

Mabye under Theocracy you could build them without the building requirment (Cathedrals?).

If you really want the Spanish Inquistion in the game just say "I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquistion". They will the come barrging in saying "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition".
              USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
              The video may avatar is from

Comment

If you have a Spanish Inquisition unit you must have a "Comfy Chair" unit.

Tom P.

Comment

I didn't think anyone would get it. Don't forget about the "Shower Rack" unit.

Edit: I just checked the script and it's a dish-drying rack.
                  Last edited by Will9; August 8, 2006, 18:35.
                  USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                  The video may avatar is from

Comment

There are many mods that allow for exactly what you are talking about.

Try the "Total Realism" mod over at CFC.

Comment

@d474ang3l:

Now you got me humming that stupid song!!

"Oh, the Inquisitions here and it's here to staaay!"

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of David

You can already only build three missionaries for a particular religion at a time.
                        Actually, I was going to ask about that because I was wondering what the limit was. Maybe you would need a whole new unit, then you could have 3 -NO 4 Inquisitors at a time! Then you could spread the Inquisition to 4 -NO 5 cities, yes 5 cities at a time! (or just send in the nuns!) Sorry I'm mixing 2 skits here.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtix
                          This sounds like a really cool and creative idea, it'd be wicked if Firaxis checked this boards every now and then. =)
                          They do, but luckily they don't implement every moonbat idea posted here. Why does religious mass-murder increase production?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

They do, but luckily they don't implement every moonbat idea posted here. Why does religious mass-murder increase production?
                            This is exactly my problem with this. I don't see how an Inquisition is actually a good idea.

If you impose the inquisition on newly captured cities, not so much to get the other religions out but force your in then that makes sense but that's already in... as Theocracy.

This makes no sense. Sure realistically it happened but then so did the racial cleansing in africa and the Holocaust in Germany... that doesn't mean we need them as game mechanics.

They were stupid ideas that served no real purpose in RL and they'd be stupid ideas that serve no real purpose in the game.

Tom P.

Comment

The inquisition, (here we go)
                              We know you're wishin' that we'd go away.
                              But the Inquisition's here and it's here to stay!

On a serious note, the culture bonuses, eventually happyness bonuses (If you go freedom of religion), and science bonuses (from monistaries) would be hard to cancel out with what ever bonus you got from killing your own people. Seriously, what benifit did the Spanish gain from theirs? A few less Muslims and Jews (No political comments, or replys pertaining to recent events otherwise the admins will track us all down and kill us in our sleep.)

Like Hitler's final solution, the real "benifits" of this are, well, nonexistant.

Quite frankly put, no one ever commited genocide and got a "bonus" from it. Unless you count that whole homo erectus/Neandertal that had started to evolve that we crushed with rocks thing. Funny thing is THEY had the larger brain cavaties. Guess they figured out what the world was going to be like and gave up to let us deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X