Standard Vs. Balanced Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Vs. Balanced Resources

This is a new feature under custom games. Anyone know what it means. I assume standard is normal resources and balanced means it somehow starts everyone with equal oppurtunity to the same resources, negating any trading.

Mike

curious about this one myself

Comment

Even if it's balanced doesn't mean that people will settle the map evenly. It's not like every resource is available with 5 squares of were you start.

But if you see no resources when you start, you can count on a few hidden ones.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

[q=Rah]It's not like every resource is available with 5 squares of were you start.[/q]

Actually that is exactly what it does IIRC. It was a request that every map have the option to have balanced resources (I think they just lifted the code form the balanced map script and dumped it in every other map script at first) so some people didn't get constantly screwed over by having no copper or iron within 10 tiles. It got removed from TBG because on team games, which it is meant for, the 5 tile radii overlap between team members, so some people got no copper or horses, adn some people had 2 or 3 of each. I even got lucky and had resources (ones you can always see+copper/iron/horse) on 15 of the starting 21 tiles when I played a game on TBG with balanced resources. So it got removed as unbalanced on TBG.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

within 5 tiles
          I thought it was within 10 or 15 tiles.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Atleast IIRC it is 5 tiles. It is the same limit as in the balanced map script at least...or my memory really is on the blink...
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

So if I understand you ccorrectly. With standard, you can get either lucky or unlucky, but with balanced, everyone is going to get simialer access to resources?

If so, I think I'll stick to standard. That just seems more fun.

Comment

Does anyone know if Balanced resources only affect strategic resources or also other resources, and if it only affects beginning strategic resources (iron, copper, horses) or also late-game ones (oil, uranium, alluminium, coal)?
                The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                - Frank Herbert

Comment

Anyway, this is a very much desirable option, imo. While I agree it kinda reduces the fun in single player games, it is very important in multiplayer games, where someone with a very screwed up starting location does not have an option to restart the game, basically.
                  - Frank Herbert

Comment

I think also that the balanced resources option is great for single player one city challenges - as an OCC game can be really crippled if you lack most or all strategic resources.

Also, additions in warlords have made a new type of a challenge possible: OCC with the aim of a conquest victory.

This becomes possible if you set raging barbs on a highlands map, with the idea of aiming to get the great wall ASAP, then concentrate on research to get a tech lead, then build an army and go on a rampage!

The barbs will then aid your cause, keeping the civs that aren't restricted to only one city from becoming too powerful for an OCC civ unharassed by barbs to have a chance at beating in a war.

But this concept requires iron, or at least copper and preferably horses and/or elephants. The "Balanced resources" option guarantees that you aren't entirely screwed from the begining and only find out after a half an hour of play, AND it helps out the AI opponents enough that they rarely get exterminated when the barbs start raging.

A very fun new game-type made possible by changes intruduced in Warlords - I'm now playing my second "OCC conquest" game.
                    Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
                      Anyway, this is a very much desirable option, imo. While I agree it kinda reduces the fun in single player games, it is very important in multiplayer games, where someone with a very screwed up starting location does not have an option to restart the game, basically.
                      I'm not sure that I totally agree with this. Yes, people can get screwed in MP games but if you're playing one or two sessions only, it's not that big of a thing. It's sometimes makes people change their strategies (as it should when you're missing one.) Those players that always rely on copper for their offense/defense and then follow a standard tech progression is kinda boring. Much more interesting when no copper pops, and now you're deciding iron or AH to see and if neither, how to beef up the archers or how to steal or trade for one. I think the best MP players should be flexible and always having the same ole resources every game removes some of the need to be flexible.

AND yes I've gotten really screwed a few games and whined about it the entire game, but was able to survive in most of them and got a special enjoyment from it.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I suppose it depends on the kind of multiplayer games you organise. The crowd are play with are mostly casual players, and we rarely have enough time to play more than a Quick session in one sitting, if that (and getting all the people to come again to continue a saved game is nigh-impossible).
                        - Frank Herbert

Comment

We usually only go one sessions since it's usually obvious who the winners and losers are after about 3-4 hours. "YES I SEE those 3 SODs of calvary coming my way that I can't possibly stop with my longbowmen, I'll be sure to be here tomorrow to continue this one"
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

AND yes I've gotten really screwed a few games and whined about it the entire game, but was able to survive in most of them and got a special enjoyment from it.
                            I will keep this in mind that you are really enjoying yourself next time you are moaning about an ugly starting location.
                            "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Hmm. I heard this balanced function is bugged up. Can anyone confirm this? I seem to recall playing it once and my only metals were a long long way away.

And Hey Krill.

Aka Churchill1

Comment

Working...
                              X