To get -or not to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To get -or not to get?

After finding out by many posters, even those I respect highly here, that they like this game a second try must be given...
    My first disappointing tries around last christmust reported here.

So now I shall recieve a little better PC in a few days and I'm now wondering how to attack this game...
    The basic game is locally available ~30€ as is the X-pack.
    I'm not a huge fan of Civ games based on many wars - I do try to stay out of these until panzer time

So should I buy the X-pack at once and dig in to it or should I first learn the basic game (and save some euros while waiting for the price to drop) or should I just forget the X-pack concentrating only on core game
    ... or is it ?

Waiting for good advice

The poll is expired.

Both

If you feel alone when the rest of us are talking about changes from the Vanilla version, play a few rounds with it first, then try Warlords. There is no reason to wait with buying it unless you know for sure you'll be playing the vanilla/ core version first (but then you wouldn't have asked I guess...) and it sure is very frustrating if you really want to try Warlords and you can't get hold of it immediately.

Comment

And sure, Warlords might have some bugs re AI declaring war on new vassals, but there will be a patch (if they really are bugs). Meanwhile, the XP is interesting, exciting, & quite lively. Experience Points (the other XP) are great, too, with great generals!

There CAN be more in the way of minor wars in Warlords.

Tsk, tsk. Waiting all this time to get a new computer for Civ4! I made it a priority to have it when the game was released.

Comment

If you didn't really like Civ4, Warlords won't make it any better for you. It's the same core game. Though I am quite surprised as to how anyone can not like Civ4 .

I think you need to go back to regular Civ4 for a bit. If you find yourself enjoying the game, get Warlords for new civs and a few core game tweaks. If you still have a negative impression of Civ4, leave it alone, and my condolences to you .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

My view is that if you are not sure you like the game start with Vanilla, and save a few quid. If you get into the game (as I'm sure you will if you give it chance) then maybe you'll want to buy Warlords. Since I haven't seen the 2 together for a cheaper price here you lose nothing by buying in 2 stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            Though I am quite surprised as to how anyone can not like Civ4 .
            Yes there is a newly discovered mental condition, NATCS (Not Addicted To Civ Syndrone), and I hear it's really bad.

Jeje2, If you get vanilla and you have NATCS, don't get warlords. If you like vanilla, but not to much wait tell warlords' price drops. If you really like vanilla, and you want to get deeper into the game get warlords.
            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
            The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Will9

Yes there is a newly discovered mental condition, NATCS (Not Addicted To Civ Syndrone), and I hear it's really bad.
              Yeah it can be fatal.

Fortunately the therapy only costs £20.

Comment

Hey Jeje :

If you're not burning to play Civ right now, I'd just wait until the Gold version with the core game and all x-packs bundled together. Maybe 18 months from now? You'll get the most bang for the buck and all the collective experience of players wrapped into the patches.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
                  Oh I thought it NAATCS (Not Anymoore Addicted To Civ Syndrone)

It does disturb me to wait...
                  Many people has talked much good about this game - so there is a urgent need to understand what the heck this all fuss is about.

I just hope I'm still able to learn/accept new ways of playing a Civ game. (My old strategy apereantly dont work anymore in the 21st centry... )

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                    Hey Jeje :

If you're not burning to play Civ right now, I'd just wait until the Gold version with the core game and all x-packs bundled together. Maybe 18 months from now? You'll get the most bang for the buck and all the collective experience of players wrapped into the patches.
                    Nooooo, don't wait 18 months.

Comment

You can check out Civ 4 legally without spending any money by downloading the demo: http://63.236.94.185/2kgames/civ4/civ4demo.php

Comment

Working...
                      X