Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.61 REV A Patch for Civ4 Mac

Civilization IV 1.61 Rev A

This is an official update for Civilization 4. It will fully update any previous version of Civilization 4 to version 1.61 Rev A. It is recommended for all users.

This update contains the following fixes:

- Better performance on certain Macs (particularly G5's) that exhibited excessive CPU use in the original release. The game should no longer run dual CPU's to 100% capacity.

- Fixed numerous sounds issues including missing sounds, stuttering, 3D sound positioning, and movie soundtracks.

- Fixed globe graphical corruption at Low quality setting.

- Fixed bugs exposed by having the "Big Blue Marble" mod installed in CustomAssets.

Known Issues

- If you experience kernel panics on Intel Macs, make sure you have installed the latest version of the OS X 10.4.7 Combo update. If problems persist, turn off FSAA options and/or run the game in a window.

DOWNLOAD (40MB)
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Civ4 Mac

this patch was a godsend... before the game was running very slowly... after it has really quickened the pace... would recommend it to anyone..

Comment

I originally posted this here earlier today before I saw this thread. Sorry for the crossposting.

I just downloaded the Mac patch last night and while Civ4 for Mac now has a variety of ambient sounds that it didn't previously play, it is still exhibiting some audio and video problems:

1. Most notably, the globe graphical corruption was not fixed. When I zoom out into globe view, the graphical skin is still corrupted. Whichever foreign leader I talked to most recently is what I see on the globe (and let me tell you, a massive globe-sized Caesar is a little startling).

2. Every so often there will still be sound files that seem to misfire, and when that starts to happen then often I will eventually just hear a POP out of my speakers and there is no more sound unless I reboot the game.

3. Mouse-over info boxes and scroll capability come and go seemingly on a whim. They'll leave for a few turns and then come back. Aggravates me to no end. (I now understand that this happens to everyone, PC or Mac. Awesome.)

4. I am playing Civ4 on the lowest possible visual settings, and I have to say that I am disappointed that this has to be the case. I am running a brand-new 20" Intel iMac with 1GB of memory and an ATI x1600 video card with 256MB of RAM on it, and I have to run at the lowest possible settings (apart from screen resolution, which I still have moderate to high) if I want it to exhibit adequate performance.

It does seem to be running better under this patch than the original version, but still not enough that I feel comfortable turning on particle effects or anything else.

I tried making a disc image of the DVD to run the game entirely off my hard drive, but it wouldn't run that way, sadly. I could get away with that for Civ3.

Thanks,
      Z

Comment

patch fixed globe problem for me

I installed the patch and it did not immediately seem to have any effect when I restarted the game, but I rebooted and now the globe graphic problem is fixed.

I'm running on Mac OS X 10.4 on a PowerMac G4 dual 1.25 GHz. (below required specs - it tells me it won't run, but then it does.)

Comment

Working...
        X