uMgungundlovu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uMgungundlovu

That's the name of the 2nd city of the Zulus (I had random leader set), curious, why is the first letter lowercase, the 2nd uppercased, and how is that pronounced?

Like it's spelt?

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

That's nothing. Watch this.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by nugog
        Like it's spelt?

"Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
        Check out my Blog!

Comment

I wonder if that's correct. I know Kiswahili uses an "M" prefix on certain words, usually animal names. It's usually the M that's lower case, i.e. mBogo, but I've seen it spelled with the M upper case if you're not really talking about the animal but something named after it (i.e. the Mbogo tribe).

Comment

You can easily confirm that the name is in fact correct by Google .
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It is correct. The lower case u is a fairly common prefix, actually, typically denoting singular.

It became capitol after the assassination of Shaka, but was burnt to the ground shortly after to prevent it from being looted. It's currently a district in Zululand as well.

(em gun Jun O vu) is my best suggestion as to how to pronounce, though I am still learning and by no means an expert.

Best translation I could give is "home of the elephant" or something close to that.
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Zulu pronunciation is damn near impossible, I gave up on it. It's actually true you know, the Zulu language has clicks. And not just one, but three different kinds The meaning of a word might change depending on what type of click you use Any c, q or x in Zulu words is a click (and each is a different kind), so good luck pronouncing Eziqwaqweni, which is also on the Zulu city list

uMgungundlovu should be a relatively easy word to pronounce though, except for the 'dl' part, which sounds a bit like the Welsh 'll' but slightly different (don't ask me how, I can't pronounce the Welsh version either). My closest approximation would be "oom-goong-oon-llovoo". But like UnO, I'm by no means an expert...
                Last edited by Locutus; August 1, 2006, 12:31.
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                X