Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Civanilla See a Patch with Some of the Warlords Changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Civanilla See a Patch with Some of the Warlords Changes?

I think that a lot of the changes to the core game in Warlords would be approriate to appear in a patch for vanilla, such as
    -Chariot bonus against axes
    -Nerfed Cossacks/Redcoats
    -Improve stacking interface

Possibly a few others that I am overlooking. I have some friends that I play multiplayer with who don't have warlords yet. I think it would be good to keep the vanilla version of the game up to date.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

As I recall, when expansions were made for Civ III, that meant the vanilla version was frozen as-is. I would guess that the same will be true here, as Firaxis would rather support its latest product.

It would be nice though, and I can't imagine it would be too much work, if they updated Vanilla for those who don't want to buy Warlords.

Comment

I don't believe Firaxis will make any new patch, that would be plain silly of them. But who knows, perhaps a usermade, non-official patch will come some day?
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I don't see why not. It's not like they have to do any extra work, it's done... just move it out to a single patch and deploy. Heck, to a given degree it's even been play-tested.

Of course, the chariot bonus and nerfing can be done in XML so... no big deal there.

Tom P.

Comment

Keeping vanilla up to date supposes continued support, which makes little economic sense. X-packs are already a bit of a weak proposition in terms of retail sales, so giving players incentive to justify the cost of the XP is in play here.

Of course, some vanilla players will see this as a shake down of sorts...
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

OK, fair enough. I was just curious.
            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would agree it's rather unlikely.

Comment

They are no longer willing to 'support' it but they are certainly still willing to sell it.

Vanilla Civ4 is actually quite polished.

Comment

I was sort of wondering the same thing. I'm liking Civ4, and I think I *may* get Warlords. But I don't want to fall into the trap of buying 2 or 3 expansion packs. Equally, I don't want (in future) to be shut out of MP or succession games because I don't have the latest version

I'd be curious to know what percentage of the 'regulars' here have Warlords already, or plan to get it in the immediate future.
                  "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I got it, I am a little disappointed with it though, the scenarios aren't entertaining enough to play more then once or twice, and the vassal system is all messed up (hopefully they will fix it though) and there was no other major addition to gameplay.

But anyway, you can make those changes yourself, or even edit them to how you want to make it balanced in your oppnion.

Comment

I have Warlords, though I'm probably not what you are refering to as a regular.

Why would Fraxis release such a patch - they want our
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I have it, though I knew beforehand it was unlikely to add a great deal. I'm hoping that's it for x-packs, but it seems there will be more.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                          I have it, though I knew beforehand it was unlikely to add a great deal. I'm hoping that's it for x-packs, but it seems there will be more.
                          Doesn't mean you have to buy them though.

I mean, for crying out loud, do we really need more scenarios, window dressed civ's, or more new leaders for exisiting civs?

Give us deeper gameplay!

Fix the accursed UN!

Hell, even give us SMAC2 under a different name!

But more window dressing?

Don't get me wrong - Warlord has added SOME interesting stuff, but it has also added lots of dross.
                          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Well I'll probably buy it so that I can play comparison games. It's only £17 or whatever and compared to the play I've had from Civ4 it's fine, even though the added value of the x-pack might be small.

I'm not actually sure I want major gameplay changes in an x-pack. Civ4 is a great game and has the potential to be the best TBS game for some years. If they change a lot in an x-pack (with the most recent version always becoming the standard) they could lose that.

Comment

I too think Civ4 is a great game.

The X-packs in this part of the world are about $50 though, so are a bit more expensive.
                              Last edited by Nugog; August 1, 2006, 06:32.

Comment

Working...
                              X