Crazy vassal bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy vassal bug

In a game I stumbled upon this when the Vikings capitulated to me, over the turns I kept trying to pressure them into giving me more and more tribute....

This escalated even more and the amount of gold he could be got larger and larger, if I wanted to I could cancel the old deals and get much more money.
    Tempting.

It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

And still people are complaining about the increased maintenance

Comment

How can you offer 1 of 0 Ivory btw

Comment

It's 0 in excess of the one I use for my own civ, so by trading it away I don't get access to ivory. But since this was later on and I did not have much use for either one extra happiness or War Elephants I traded it instead.
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Yep, seen the same bug in my last game. Had five vassal states and all were willing to give me tons of gold for resources.

Comment

If the vassal capitulated, you can take whatever you want from them and give nothing in return. Just ask for the gold and skip giving them the resource.

I played the Rise of Rome scenario and Brennus came begging for vassaldom. I didn't have his "victory resource" yet, but once vassalized I told him to hand it over... and he did. Same for gpt, etc.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I encountered this same bug in a game where the Viking was my Vassal. I was not demanding tribute, but was trading resources for gold with him. At first it said he had 13 gold per turn, so I offered him deer for the 13 gold. Immediately after he accepted the deal, the diplomacy screen suddenly said that he had 14 gold! So, I traded another resource for the 14. Then it said he had 13 gold again!! I have a feeling that I could have just exploited this over and over again and wound up with an infinite amount of gold from one AI CIV with two cities left.

I do not know if it is just the viking vassal where this bug occurred. I have not seen it from any of the other civ vassals so far.
              "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                If the vassal capitulated, you can take whatever you want from them and give nothing in return. Just ask for the gold and skip giving them the resource.
                No that's not true in my experience, you can make a demand that states "give me this or there will be war" and it is very likely that the vassall will agree out of fear. But if you push it to far and to many times then they will decline.

Comment

Yep, I’m another confirming that this "trade bug" exists.

With China a Vassal I was able to trade two resources for what looked like the same 25 per turn gold – I traded one resource, closed out the diplomacy screen, opened it back up and the 25 per turn was still in China’s column. So I traded again. I suspect I would have been able to do this all day if I had more resources to trade. On another turn I traded a resource for (I don’t recall the amount exactly) about 10 per turn, closed diplomacy, went straight back the same turn and China had 33 per turn available for trade. It is not a consistent bug which works every time, but it shows up quite often.
                  "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I noticed this... but I'm not 100% sure it's a bug, because they do eventually run out of money - at least that was the case in my first game. I had enough resources to trade such that eventually my vassal had no more GPT to trade me.

Also, pay attention to their research rate... each time you go back to the well and get more GPT from them, you will note the "time to completion" of their next tech will jump (indicating slower research). I think what is happening is that they are lowering their research rate to free up GPT after each trade.

Not that that is necessarily a good thing/intended...

edit: well, ok, prolly a bug, huh?

-Arrian
                    Last edited by Arrian; August 1, 2006, 15:46.
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Good point. Truth be told I did not pay attention to the research rate. In part because my first instance of this (potential) bug was the repeated ability to get 25 gold per turn, which may have just be a coincidence that threw me off the scent since I can’t ever remember dropping my research rate twice and have it come out to the same gpt. And it wasn't done in between turns, but the same turn.

The other examples I encountered it look entirely more likely that reduced research rate could be the case.
                      "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        I noticed this... but I'm not 100% sure it's a bug, because they do eventually run out of money - at least that was the case in my first game. I had enough resources to trade such that eventually my vassal had no more GPT to trade me.

Also, pay attention to their research rate... each time you go back to the well and get more GPT from them, you will note the "time to completion" of their next tech will jump (indicating slower research). I think what is happening is that they are lowering their research rate to free up GPT after each trade.

Not that that is necessarily a good thing/intended...

edit: well, ok, prolly a bug, huh?

-Arrian
                        That was my thoughts as well; the AI instantly adjust the tech rate so it won't run bankrupt. I haven't seen it yet as I haven't been able to play too much yet

Comment

I've had the same bug, and another more frustrating:

In my last game I had Tokugawa capitulate to me, and then ordered him to research Astronomy.

60 turns later, once he had researched the tech, he refused to trade it to me, let alone give it outright, saying, "We will never trade with you, our worst enemy."
                          For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

Working...
                          X