Nuclear War in Warlords!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear War in Warlords!

This is more of a general Civ IV question, but I guess it applies to Warlords as well because I wanted to see if anything has improved in this department now that the expansion is out.

I've found that nukes should be an extremely important part of the game, but are rather inconsequential, as they don't seem to add much weight to diplomacy. It seems like the modern portion of the game comes and goes a little too fast and by the time nukes come around, there is a clear winner anyway. Has anyone found that this has improved with Warlords in terms of AI use of nukes?

On a side note, is marathon game length new with warlords, and does it help to lengthen the time when nukes are a factor in the game?

Thanks!

Marathon has been in for awhile. It definitely extends the shelf life of your military units. As for nukes, I don't know if the AI has been tweaked in regards to its use of nukes, sorry.
    - Dregor

Comment

thanks dregor! Have you found that the AI will use nukes? If so, do they use them somewhat strategically?

I'm kinda new to the game so I've been playing at easy difficulty settings and haven't seen much use of them.

Comment

I'll tell ya when I get a game of Warlords that lasts to the modern age :P Trebuchets shorten it so much!
        - Dregor

Comment

The AI seems as reluctant as ever to use nuclear weapons. To test this, I bombed the heck out of Montezuma and waited a few turns to see if he retaliated with nukes. No dice.

However, interestingly enough, the AI civs voted down the nuclear non-proliferation UN proposal when I abstained. A lot of players find that the AI always approves the non-proliferation treaty. (Well, maybe not always.)
          One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
          "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

In vanilla civ I had an AI civ nuke the heck out of me when I was way in the lead points-wise and the space race was neck and neck. (Note: the nuker was Spain, the space racer was the US. Both had come to border me after I completely crushed Japan after his little rump civ built the Manhatten Project.) Spain was in no way able to follow up on the shot but 5 nukes landed on me just two turns before I completed SDI -- slow on that due to war/space race.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I've never had the AI lob a nuke yet. But I guess if someone was going to do, it would be her or Catherine.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Can you attack a GG to a nuke?

Comment

in warlords the ai builds and use nukes!
                  woohoo!
                  "If 'The Flinstones' has taught us anything about history, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement." - Homer J. Simpson

Visit 0d1n3oo3Broad's Fantastic Creation Corner on Civfanatics

Comment

AI definately uses Nukes. In my current game I've been nuked 1/2 by Romans and 3-4+ times by Aztecs. I finally got my SDI up, cause I didn't expect them to nuke me really. I also Nuked Aztecs twice, I feel Nukes should do a bit more damage though.

This is on Noble difficulty.
                    - A t m A -

Comment

I nuked the Inca about a dozen times in a game as the Koreans and didn't receive a single nuke in return and they had the technology and resources to build them.
                      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hm, first person to launch a nuclear weapon should get a Warlord. That would make things interesting

Comment

Wow, for the first time of many civ games I got harshly nuked, by Ramesses.

I though it would be a run of the mill invasion for me with an aerial assualt followed by ground troops but the turn after I declared war my capital and another major city was bombed to smithereens.

And I don't even have ecology yet so I can't clean it up. Here's to the new ruthless AI.
                          It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Can you attack a GG to a nuke?

Reminds me of that scene from Dr Strangelove.

Comment

I suspect the AI is using nukes against each other as well. I just got global warming for the first time ever in Civ4, so I guess some AIs must have had a nuclear exchange out of sight of me.

Comment

Working...
                              X