No announcement yet.

A Civ2 player coming back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to view it that way too. Also of course your own traits determine where you focus your efforts.

Comment

Exactly
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The advisors were ****. I never wanted some American actors interrupting my game play. It was a stupid feature that would have been quickly switched off by most players.
        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

This sure improves the game, as it makes the Civs unique
          If you're playing a game, starting next door to the greeks or aztecs it would require a very different strategy than when you start next to the americans
          I don't mind having to adopt a different strategy depending on my neighbours. Giving the AI civs their own characteristics improves game play. But at the moment I can't see why I shouldn't be able to play an English leader who is philosophical and spiritual (for example).

OK, I could modify the XML, but that could leave me with an English leader whose UU was a camel archer (for example). I could modify the XML some more, but that might leave me with a leader whose combintion of traits, UU, etc was different from any that actually appear in the game. Perhaps these are minor points of no significance. But they feel like examples of an unecessary level of complication.

One way round this would be to give the human player their choice of traits, starting techs, UU, etc. I gather the problem with this is that there are some combinations that are "unbalanced". I suspect that this is a sign that things are too complicated.

RJM
          Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I'll chime in.

I've had C4 since the end of April, and am enjoying it. It's definitely more of a challenge at this point than Civ2 is. I can walk all over the Civ2 AI anytime I want, even at Deity. But then again, I've been playing Civ2 for what, 8 years or so?

Bottom line is, I can still see myself playing Civ2 down the road, if I get bored with C4. It's too early to tell whether I'll get bored with C4 (the way I got bored with CtP, RR Tycoon II, GTA4, etc) and I daresay it's too early to tell if any of us will get bored with C4.

C4 looks like it will always be a SP challenge at the higher levels. But then again, Civ2 looked that way to me for a while, too. I think it all comes down to the 'addictive' feeling, which is the real reason a lot of us still play Civ2 even though we know we're going to win.

So right now Civ4 gets all the PC time. Ask me again in 6 months
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
              It's too early to tell whether I'll get bored with C4 (the way I got bored with CtP, RR Tycoon II, GTA4, etc)
              Damn, you're already bored of a game that hasn't been released yet?
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

Damn, you're already bored of a game that hasn't been released yet?
                I call San Andreas GTA4. Rockstar apparently hasn't learned to count
                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

GTA3, VIce city and then san andreas :P, u can count it as GTA5,
                  and for the record i have many years to play SP game, i mostly play RTS online, just got too bored this summer.

6k year old man go play Open Transport Tycoon deluxe, awesome game, and great community, www.tt-forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                    The advisors were ****. I never wanted some American actors interrupting my game play. It was a stupid feature that would have been quickly switched off by most players.

QFT (except the crack about Americans)
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I wish that the only "negatives" that I have noticed were those mentioned by the OP.

Comment

Re: A Civ2 player coming back

i ll keep playing and find out more negatives
                        I think you've summed yourself up, there.

Comment

I've been really enjoying IV but I still play MP II ocasionally. The simul move in IV makes the game go faster (never turned it on in II) but i really hate the possible two for one moves that it allows. I'm getting too old for faster fingers win games or a game of chicken to so who will wait the longest to end their turn. A timer does not resolve all the issues.

Advisors, throne and movies. Watched and enjoyed them a few times then turned them off.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: A Civ2 player coming back

Originally posted by achilleas999
                            well i ve been playing civ2 gold edition like *cough* dont remember *cough* years ago like an addict

now i installed warlords, civ4 vanilla wouldn't work on my PC, warlords works for some strange reason.

Well my first negative impressions (i also have positive impressions but what's the point of posting them?)

1. CIV2 had way better interface
                            2. Firaxis just keeps using this stupid font in this game and also in CivCity Rome, so ****ty font
                            3. Where the heck are the advisors? i can only see some stupid tables and lines and graphs?????? Those advisor videos were half the fun of Civ2. I'm so f*cking annoyed when features are REMOVED from series. The game is so boring without advisors.
                            4. Is it just me or the Wonder videos in civ4 are worse than those in civ2???
                            5.Also does the "throne room" still be in civ series? the one that your people gave you gifts to improve the throne room? do u remember?

i ll keep playing and find out more negatives
                            Hi there, welcome to Apolyton!

I agree with 1, 2, 4 and remember and liked 5.

Good to see you're liking the game so far -- cIV is the first civ-game where Firaxis kept all it's pre-release promises, and it seems to have even a longer replayability than Civ II had. I'd hate to see cIV to be a financial failure, it's a clear step towards the right direction in so many aspects when it comes to strategy games.

Comment

I miss the Advisors, and I agree about the Wonder movies.

But overall, I think Civ IV is the only Civ game that I think made a significant, net improvement over Civ 2.

SMAC and Civ2 complemented each other nicely, with both having aspects I wished the other had (and prompting me to make a "Civ2 rules" mod for SMAC).

Civ3 had a lot of good ideas, that were (IMO) badly implemented. Especially the Strategic Resources. Several times I didn't get a source of Iron until well into the Gunpowder age. Once, I was without Iron or Saltpeter until I'd got Riflemen! The only thing worse was the time I started on a small island, that was almost all hills (and jungles), with no sources of fresh water, and no commerce resources. I made a bee-line to Map Making, and it still took until about 500AD before I could build ships and get off the island. (Oh, and yes - there was no iron on that island either). I wish I'd made a screen-grab, just to submit to one of the "worst starting places ever" threads.

I was very keen to get Civ3, because the computer I had at the time wouldn't run SMAC, but after getting it, I ended up mostly playing Civ2 again.

Comment

Working...
                              X