Omens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omens

I played most of the way through the Omens scenario last night. It seems like this scenario was MADE for a multiplayer one-on-one. For single player, I guess I was mildly disappointed at how easy it's turning out.

I played the scenario at Prince level (I normally play Monarch if I feel like losing and Prince if I feel like winning), and I have to say it seemed REALLY easy. The goal is to reach 75% of the population with your religion by the end of the scenario. There's only two religions: Protestantism and Catholicism. And there's a neutral Native civ between the English and the French.

Fully converting the Native American population isn't difficult. And keeping a few spare missionaries around is as simple as clicking on the "Organized Religion" civic. For most of the game, I've even been at PEACE with France, so it's build-build-build. Oh look, France converted ONE of the indian cities back. Pop. Not anymore. (Conversion in this scenario removes the old religion).

I've managed to stay at 58%-72% conversion for most of the game. And just to spice things up I finally went to war with France... War is pretty much totally futile until Cannons are developed.

The only Divinity actions I've seen so far are: Look it's a horseman! Oh. He must have done something to France because he's gone now. I hear it's cool to have them lay the smack down... But I just haven't seen it in action.

Eh... Maybe others have had better luck with it though.

I suspect it's not good luck to be cursed. Still, you miss out on the main scenario action if you are ahead. What a wierd design concept -- if you are losing, the design is set to compound tha, make it worse. However, that's the only way you see the scenario's unique feature. What's up with that?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I'm guessing Pestilence doesn't just stop by the 7-11 for chips and head on his way. I just wish I could see it.

Comment

I ended up playing tell Death arrived. I had every Indian converted. I only had 74% of the population converted at that time. So Death ended up attacking me. If you only have all the Indians converted you can't win. If settle alot of cities you will criple your economy. The only way to win is by war.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Yeah, but it's easy enough to convert all the Indians, and then just raze a couple of the French cities. Up to 78%... Now I just have to keep the pressure on them.

Actually, if I'd been smart, I would have just gifted those cities to the Indians.

Comment

Actually, it's fairly easy to win without a single combat other than barbarian. Remember, every city YOU build is more pop to your religion as well ... ICS to the rescue! Anyone seen yin?

I've played it several times and never fought the opposition except when I chose that route entirely.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Okay, I take it back. There are SOME tricks to the scenario. The AI starts churning out Missionaries at the end like nobody's business, and sticking with Organized Religion is a bad idea, since Theocracy acts like Emancipation in this scenario... Now you tell me... Grrr.
              The necessary switch required that I build Monasteries everywhere, which were otherwise totally unnecessary.

Death reared his ugly head when I was at 70%. A few turns after he arrived i was back up to 78%, but it doesn't matter to him. At least I got to see the cool blasty effects...

Now that i know what I'm doing though, I doubt i'd have a hard time beating it.

I did Settle, Settle, Settle until my science percentage was at 0%. Smaller cities hardly matter population-wise compared to larger ones though, so it's only really useful if you can get those cities to grow too.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                Actually, it's fairly easy to win without a single combat other than barbarian. Remember, every city YOU build is more pop to your religion as well ... ICS to the rescue! Anyone seen yin?

I've played it several times and never fought the opposition except when I chose that route entirely.
                Wait a minute. Barbarian? There ARE no barbarians in the game. None. That's one of the things that made it easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Simplicity
                  Yeah, but it's easy enough to convert all the Indians, and then just raze a couple of the French cities. Up to 78%... Now I just have to keep the pressure on them.

Actually, if I'd been smart, I would have just gifted those cities to the Indians.
                  Raze the French cities!!!???

Aren't we supposed to be razing the English cities?
                  "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                  "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                  "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by CarnalCanaan

Raze the French cities!!!???

Aren't we supposed to be razing the English cities?
                    Well I guess if you wanted to play as France, but England has better food, and they speak English which is always a plus. And France isn't on an island which makes it more boaring.

Comment

England has better food? We don't count beer as food, btw .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

England has better food? England?
                        Only the Indian places... And maybe the fish and chips.

Comment

...I thought English Food was Steak and Potatoes, much better then Cheese, Wine, and Crackers.

Comment

Working...
                          X