Which new wonder is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian
    Hmmm, I wonder... GW on a Terra map would be awfully nice, wouldn't it?
    The effects of the Great Wall are continental, not global.

Comment

The Great Wall is awesome in single player. Gets you an early Great Engineer (which you can use for the Pyramids if they're still available, to really pump GEs!). And unless you have an aggressive AI as a neighbor, it lets you ignore your defenses in favor of building/expansion for much longer than you normally could.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman

The effects of the Great Wall are continental, not global.

Who says that it's not possible to build a wall across an ocean?
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The Great Wall, just 'cause it looks cool. Though I do think the keeping-out-barbarians effect shouldn't move with your borders, because 1) that's insanely powerful in some situations and still pretty good in others and 2) it removes a lot of the strategy I thought would be associated with it.

Incidentally, what happens if your cultural borders cover your entire continent? Do you just get a big wall around the whole continent (really cool) or no wall at all (lame)?

Comment

I imagine no wall at all.

I don't have a favorite, they are all pretty cool.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider

University of Sankore can no doubt give a significant boost to your research, but is best in a larger empire.
              If combined with the spiral minaret witch now gives +2 gold for any state-religion building the University of Sankore becomes very powerful. Now every religious building gives + 2 gold AND + 2 reserach.

In a holy city alone this typicaly means +8 gold & +8 extra research (Chaterdal, Monestry, Temple & Holy shrine)
              Add to this all the building you probably have in this city in order to increase gold and science income.
              GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
              even mean anything?

Comment

The great wall, definitely.
                It´s great to be able to build terrain improvements within your cultural borders without having to fear that some barbs come and destroy them
                Especially since I prefer playing on huge maps where there is normally plenty of unobserved terrain where barbs can spawn.
                And of course, as already mentioned, it loooks cool
                Last edited by Proteus_MST; July 30, 2006, 10:32.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Sankore, it comes at a time in the game when my cities might actually be twiddling their thumbs and it is easy to beat the AI's to. In the early game my production is waaay too contested to waste on any old wonder, things like settlers, axemen and useful wonders like The Oracle, Great Lighthouse and Pyramids.

The Great Wall does look cool, though.

Comment

sankore

I'm glad that it makes paper more of a priority, its usually low on my list.

I've seen an AI civ in the middle of the continent with one city build the great wall-looked amusing to see just a big circle. Perhaps more of a bullseye???

Comment

Working...
                    X