Undocumented Warlords Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Virdrago
    The only way you can gift a missionary is to gift the caravel as well. Since the missionary can't leave the ship, you'll have to give your opponent everything.
    Not a proper game scenario, but I founded budhism, and gave me a caravel and a missionary, then gave them to Cyrus. He happily used the caravel to explore... With the missionary still inside. I then signed open borders with him, and gifted him a missionary, he did not use it.

I wonder, if they need to have the religion as a state religion before they use missionaries...

Originally posted by Willem

I'm pretty sure you can activate a unit while it's still on the ship, at least when it's next to the coast. You can gift it then.
    Nope, the gifting icon does not appear.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
      Not a proper game scenario, but I founded budhism, and gave me a caravel and a missionary, then gave them to Cyrus. He happily used the caravel to explore... With the missionary still inside. I then signed open borders with him, and gifted him a missionary, he did not use it.

I wonder, if they need to have the religion as a state religion before they use missionaries...
      Yeah; perhaps another undocumented 'feature' is that the AI doesn't seem to care too much about spreading any religion it doesn't own the holy city for.
      For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

• Originally posted by Yaga

Yeah; perhaps another undocumented 'feature' is that the AI doesn't seem to care too much about spreading any religion it doesn't own the holy city for.
        Of course not, why try and help some rival get more gold? I don't make any effort to spread anything I don't have the holy city for either, unless I'm trying to get an extra priest going in order to build the shrine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yaga

Yeah, I found that out when I was gifting my Hindu Missionaries to my founding Buddhist neighbor, As(h)oka, but nothing was being spread. I finally went and put a Hindu missionary in Delhi myself and found 6(!) previous gifts happily forgetting their vows in his palace... so much for that. On the other hand, if a civ did not found a religion, they'll eagerly spread your gifts around to others after finishing their cities... even to other continents. Useful for getting around Open Borders problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thedrin
            What if you park your caravel on the same tile as an empty galley?
            The missionary would still be loaded on the caravel, so it would still be impossible to gift it.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by Willem
              Of course not, why try and help some rival get more gold? I don't make any effort to spread anything I don't have the holy city for either, unless I'm trying to get an extra priest going in order to build the shrine.
              Well, it's the 'unless I'm trying to get the priest' part that I find odd.

I can't think of an occasion where a civ doesn't immediately adopt as a state religion the fist religion to spread into its cities. More they'll often adopt Organized Religion or Theocracy. Both of these come with Upkeep, yet by *not* spreading the Religion they're ultimately hurting their bottom line. This is what I do as a player -- granted I make a conscious decision about which is the best religion when there are a number in play on my continent, but once I adopt XYZ and get the opportunity, I spread that religion throughout. Yet the AI doesn't seem to do this:

eg: My most recent game I discovered a continent in the 1200's with three Civs on it, with *no* religions anywhere on the continent. By sending over caravels full of my State Religion's missionaries I got Confucianism adopted by each of the three. Immediately then I had the "We care about our brothers and sisters of the faith" diplo boost, which is what I was going for -- I spread the religion despite not having the Holy city for it.

Despite adopting Confucianism as their state religion and making changes to their Religions Civics, none of these three civs spread the religion *at all*. A hundred or so turns later when I finally captured the Holy City for Confucianism I discovered the religion to not have spread to any of the other cities. That, imosho, isn't kosher.
              For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

• Originally posted by Simplicity

I try to ALWAYS defend against barbs. It's far more rare for me to actually ATTACK them, since that just puts my units at a penalty.
                But you can get more experience by attacking.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaviddesJ
                  But you can get more experience by attacking.
                  But the experience you can get for fighting barbs is capped at 10 anyway, so it's not that much of a bonus when fighting them.
                  Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackRudd

But the experience you can get for fighting barbs is capped at 10 anyway, so it's not that much of a bonus when fighting them.
                    It depends on the map and settings. In most cases, you aren't going to get all of your units up to 10 XP just by killing barbarians. If you are only defending (1 XP/battle), and you have 10 units, that would mean you would have to kill 100 of them.

I'm not saying it makes a huge difference. And sometimes you only get 1 XP even when you attack. But, it's worth taking into account.

Comment

• So, anyone noticed, that a Warlord unit apparently doesn't lose its exp when upgraded? Every other unit goes back to ten.
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• Yes, that is the feature of Warlord. "free upgrades" and so...

Comment

• A "major" undocumented feature to Warlords 2.08 is naval transports no longer display their contents, or even whether they have anyone onboard.

Comment

Working...
                          X