Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing original Civ IV Scenarios in Warlords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing original Civ IV Scenarios in Warlords?

Hey everyone. I had never delved all that deeply, yet, into the scenarios in the original release of Civ IV, but I was certainly happy to have them there and intended to play around with them someday.

Since picking up Warlords has gotten me back into playing Civ IV, I was trying to look over the Scenarios available last night and discovered that the original Civ IV scenarios are not available when I load up Warlords.

Is there any way to make it so I can play these scenarios while also taking advantage of all the changes and additions that come with Warlords? I know I can load up Civ IV from its own executable and play them that way....but once I have all the extra goodies from Warlords, I don't want to go back!

You could move the scenario folders from [main Civ4 folder]\Mods to [main Civ4 folder]\Warlords\Mods and the maps from [main Civ4 folder]\PublicMaps to [main Civ4 folder]\Warlords\PublicMaps, then they should work.

But the Civ4 scenarios don't make use of the features in Warlords, so you simply won't see them for the most part. I guess Vassal States would be available, but that's about it. The new unique buildings, civs, traits, units, wonders, etc are not defined in the scenario files and therefore wouldn't be available. And I have no idea what would happen with Warlords units, they're not defined in the scenario files either but the game will expect them -- anything could happen there (from nothing happening at all, to getting the wrong units, to the game crashing).

It would probably not be worth the effort and be easier to just continue to play them with the Civ4 exe, but by all means give it a try if you want.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

It would be nice if those scenarios could be upgraded to include the new changes. I doubt many people will want to play them anymore after they get used to the Warlords game.

Comment

I think the replayability of those scenarios isn't so great that if people have played them already they'll want to go back, even if they're updated. If they haven't played them yet, firstly I doubt many will want to do so now (they've had 9 months...) and secondly I don't think Warlords offers quite so much new stuff that's it's worth upgrading. The Desert War scenario would only benefit from the Warlord feature: Vassal States, UB and the new units and traits and the like don't make much sense there. Greek World might benefit a bit more but is fairly similar to Rise of Rome. The various Earth maps are map-only scenarios so just copying them to the Warlords folder and renaming their file extension from .CivWorldBuilderSave to .CivWarlordsWBSave should do the trick.

Of course, if anyone wants to make the effort of updating the scenarios, I would definitely encourage them to do so. But I'm not doing it myself, I have more interesting items on my to-do list that will in the long term yield a greater benefit (and that's all I'll say about that )

Comment

In a nut shell, there is no point in wasting the time and effort upgrading such scenarios that weren't made for Warlords in the first place.

Comment

Do we know what tags in the XML files have been added to Warlords files?
            Question Authority.......with mime...

Comment

Too many to mention (though I'm sure someone will make a list eventually).

Comment

Well, I will get the party started. I just want to adapt some scenarios I created in the OLD version...

In the civ4leaderheadinfos.xml we find:

VassalRefuseAttitudeThreshold
                iVassalPowerModifier

Also in civ4techinfos there is the tag to identify which tech is the prereq for starting the vassal feature under TECH_FEUDALISM.

Of course in civ4units there is the GENERAL unit there at the end of the file.

Comment

I guess I am the only person in the universe having trouble moving scenarios from 1.61 to Warlords. I have all the XML and python errors cleaned up, but the scenario crashes between when I choose my scenario civ and adjectives and before the map is about to load. It crashes to desktop and gives me that popup saying "We are sorry for the inconvenience..."

I've got the loggin capability enabled in the .ini file.... how can I see where the crash is occurring?

Comment

Working...
                  X