New Great People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Great People

I love that there is a larger pool of names for Great People to use, but I have to admit it's a little jarring seeing Rockefeller born circa 500 AD. It seems like the previous rationale for naming the Great People in a more-or-less historical order has been thrown out the window.
    - Dregor

The names have been randomised generally to avoid repetition. Or else, under the old model, you always had Moses born first among the prophets, Homer among the artists, etc. And with the less common GP, such as Merchants, you'd hardly ever get to the modern names.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

But I like Merit Ptah! He is Mr. Academy.

Comment

That's still Mrs. Academy to you
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Bah, that sucks.

Although I guess it gave an extra advantage to the player by being able to 'count' how many GP have been born.

Probably why I liked it

Comment

Maybe a mod where the Great People are sorted by era, and then it picks one from the generating civ's current era?

Comment

The only good thing Mods can do to Great People is actually make them born in a certain order consecutively.

Comment

It should be fairly easy to code the whole thing in Python, you can get them any way you want (civ specific, era specific, whatever you want). But it'd be a lot of work for such a tiny little issue...

Comment

I don't know of many people who would have the patience to spend so much time on going through the code finding EVERY single GP, finding their time period, associating it with the correct era, and then writing the code for it.

Each individual one might not take so much time, but Warlords added a whole 'nother batch of them, so it'd be tedious work.

Comment

Actually, Warlords only added Great Generals, no other new other ones. And they're already ordered chronologically in the XML files, just a matter of finding the cut-off points between ages (which is easy enough, I still have a list somewhere of all the GPs in the game with short bios, including dates of birth and death as far as known; if anyone wants to have it I'd be happy to share).

But reprogramming the mechanism and recategorising the names is a bit of work, not to mention adding a whole bunch of new names (as some ages are better represented than others). It's not something that would take you weeks to do, but still a few days probably -- which for such a minor issue is a lot of work.

Comment

Working...
                    X