No announcement yet.

CIV IV makes me sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me too! I just sat stunned. I didn't know what to do next.

I got all anthropomorphic and started treating them like they were special.

I do the same thing with pop rush. I feel bad about doing it. Stupid, I know, but I can't help it.

Tom P.
    The word "anthropomorphic" is really annoying, I wish people would stop using it. it's like "plethora." so damn pretentious..(and, in the above case and many others, misused)

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf

The word "anthropomorphic" is really annoying, I wish people would stop using it. it's like "plethora." so damn pretentious..(and, in the above case and many others, misused)
      In what way is it misused?

From my underdstanding, and the definition on Dictionary.com, this is a perfectly valid use. I anthropomophised the AI, I gave them human traits and feelings.

How do you use the word?

Oh, and would you rather we run around not using a third of the language just because it sounds "pretentious" to you?

And what status am I trying to claim? Other than an actual knowlege and command of the English language?

Words, in and of themselves, cannot be pretentious. Only their use. So how is my valid use of a word in it's propper setting pretentious?

Just looking for clarification (or do you not like that word either?). You call my use of a word incorrect and pretentious but fail to point out the correct use or what what pretense was being claimed.

So, in the lack of any substantial evidence to the contrary I find myself forced to ask for clarification.

Tom P.

Comment

• He's just trolling - I thought your useage was fine.

Comment

• Being able to anthropomorphize the AI (and barbarians) is a big part of enjoying a game like civ. Despite (or because of) the fact that it is a major feat in self delusion, it helps in the immersion/role playing immensely!

Those who "just play for the challenge of winning" have my sympathy.

What term would (or COULD) Wiglaf use instead of anthropomorphize? Is he so "pretentious" to think there is an alternative, or does he just not like its concept in the first place?

Comment

• I don't anthropomorphize my citizens and units, I just treat them as miniature people.

AI leaders are another story.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Originally posted by padillah

In what way is it misused?

From my underdstanding, and the definition on Dictionary.com, this is a perfectly valid use. I anthropomophised the AI, I gave them human traits and feelings.

How do you use the word?

Oh, and would you rather we run around not using a third of the language just because it sounds "pretentious" to you?

And what status am I trying to claim? Other than an actual knowlege and command of the English language?
              the word draws undue attention to itself. your motives behind using the word are irrelevant. it's just obnoxious to read.

Words, in and of themselves, cannot be pretentious. Only their use. So how is my valid use of a word in it's propper setting pretentious?

"i got all anthropomorphic"

you must be kidding. this is a bizarre word and it is especially out of place in that phrase. "I got all horney" or "I got all up in his face" are traditonal uses of the phrase "I got all [X]."

Not "I got all [big word of the day]."

Comment

• I got all trollomorphic when I read that post.

Comment

• Sounds like you got all pedantic on this thread.
                  "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

the word draws undue attention to itself. your motives behind using the word are irrelevant. it's just obnoxious to read.
                    His motives actually are not irrelavent. It is a perfectly usable and acceptable word that he should not have to find a dumbed-down synonym so you can understand it.

I think this is about egos going gungh-ho by clashing about a stupid word.

The phrase "I got all ['big word of the day']" is a slangish twist on the traditional phrase you are referring to, but there really is nothing bizarre about the word and nothing especially out of place about it.

Unless you are illiterate... Oh...Wait, did I use that word wrong too? Is that too "bizarre" for your vocabulary?

I don't know how many times you have heard that word before to think of it as pretentious, but you shouldn't be poignant about words or the people that use them just because it brings back bad memories of your SATS.

Comment

• Actually I have great memories of my SATs

I got all Anthropomorphic. Wow. How can you say that and not feel like a total d-bag

LOL guys what's with the plethora of insults? LOL LOL

Comment

• Indubitably, a veritable plethora.

Also, everyone please notice how I managed to stay out of this spamfest, er, thread all this time. While Spikey was busy spamming, I was playing Civ
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

OK, so apparently you have two words to look up now: "Anthropomorphic" and "Pretentious".

This is not an answer to my question, it's a reitteration of your opinion.

"i got all anthropomorphic"

you must be kidding. this is a bizarre word and it is especially out of place in that phrase. "I got all horney" or "I got all up in his face" are traditonal uses of the phrase "I got all [X]."

Not "I got all [big word of the day]."
                          Again, not an answer to my question. This has nothing to do with the misuse of the word, simply a reiteration of your opinion regarding the word.

Seeing as how you have no basis in reality for the untoward attack on me I leave you to wallow in your acceptance of the lowest common denominator.

"You are the weakest link. Goodbye."

Tom P.

Comment

• Uhhhh.... if you want to have discussion on word usage, do it in the OTF. If you want to actually continue a Civ related discussion, feel free to continue posting in this thread.

HINT HINT HINT!
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X