Really bad city placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really bad city placement

I understand the AI just can't think as well as the human (or think at all) but they sometimes seem terribly programmed. On the world map, I saw this city placment, about the worst starting spot I can think of, I mean m there are 3 tiles adjecent to that spot which are better to settle on, only 1 tile there is workable at all.

You gotta love faulty programming.

It is alot better than Civ 3, though, when cities were founded by the AI purely just so they could make another city; not even taking into consideration the idea of "strategic advantage," or crappy stuff like that.

Comment

What I usually see is computer players making grabs at good city sites. Sometimes they found on bad city sites (such as those one tile fishing villages) but that's probably caused by some other weighing factor.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You'd think that they would settle in the squares that were "Sid recommended," but maybe the programmers thought of that when making the game and deliberately didn't give them the benefit.

Comment

Maybe the computer's just stupid, ever think of that?

Then again, sometimes I build a city, then find out it's not all it was cracked up to be.
          I don't know what I've been told!
          Deirdre's got a Network Node!
          Love to press the Buster Switch!
          Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

if Walsia expands its borders and mali has a high culture than you then he can push your borders back and put a city on the top left plains/hills tile, which is my favorite city spot there
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

terrible indeed. On the world map I usually place to try to get the wheat, sheep, and spices (or whatever those are). You can't fit the elephants into the city radius and get all the rest. But I can get it with the cultural boundary, just not in the city radius. Obviously they can't in this case because of the purple cultural boundaries. But that's the AI's fault for fonding a city so late.

All I know is sometimes they give me terrible recommendations with the blue circles sometimes. But sometimes the blue circle recommendations are spot on.

Comment

That's so bad it's funny.

I see this sort of nonsense quite often - its just so funny!
                I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

That's a pretty weak spot but I guess it would be recommended for a future oil grab.

Comment

You can't really call the computer "stupid," technically it will always remain "smarter" than you, if you are using those terms.

Comment

The AI still has some of the old civ3 expanionist programing.
                      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

The AI built that city because of the Wine resource. Though finding one tile to the north would be much better with access to Sheep, Wine and Ivory, and potentially even Wheat.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Prussia
                          You can't really call the computer "stupid," technically it will always remain "smarter" than you, if you are using those terms.

Really? Then how come I keep outsmarting it?

Some of it's moves are blatantly obvious. I could tell very easily, for example, when Catherine was about to sneak attack me, and I guessed force composition fairly well.
                          I don't know what I've been told!
                          Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                          Love to press the Buster Switch!
                          Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

or maybe there will be other stuff there down the line. doesn't the AI know where everything is at all times?

In the gamr I just finished, the AI really could of build a city in a great strategic place to take advantage of moving ships from one acean to another without having to go all the way around (kind of like using a city as a canal). to me, that is where the AI really makes it mistakes.

sparky

Comment

It's not the AI that's stupid, it's the programmers who were either too lazy or too smart to make it unpredictable.

Too lazy, for obvious reasons, but too smart, because would you really want to go up against an AI that does things so randomly you question why this game exists?

Comment

Working...
                              X