Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My hope for the next Civ4 expansion - Cold War!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hope for the next Civ4 expansion - Cold War!

The Warlords XP seems focused on, well, warlords, and there's nothing wrong with that. But while Civ is a largely militaristic game, there are other aspects of military struggle that can (and should) be explored.

A Cold War XP can include:

1) M.A.D.

2) Increased diplomacy
    2a) Coordinated attacks with allies (a la SMAC)
    2b) Negotiate with/bribe civs to affect a vote (a la SMAC)

3) Increased UN functions
    3a) Censure (rogue nations penalized if enough votes)
    3b) Atrocities (nukes, razing, can lead to censure)
    3c) Peacekeeping missions?

4) Increased spy functions(!!!!)
    4a) Sabotage of existing city buildings (high cost, high risk, maybe not destroy, but neutralize benefits for x turns)
    4b) Assassination/defection of great person
    4c) Plant evidence to blame other civs

5) War via vassal states

Just looking at the actual Cold War, the US and USSR had a protracted ideological conflict in which both nations never fought directly, but did so via proxies, espionage, diplomacy, etc.

To me, that's much more interesting than merely throwing infantry at each other.

Food for thought.

You already can ask someone your fighting a war with to attack an enemy city.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

Then why does it have to be a Cold War XP?

In case you've been asleep for the past 30 years, this is how most conflicts are usually dispersed and dissolved or fought and won.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
        You already can ask someone your fighting a war with to attack an enemy city.
        HOW? I've heard that this is possible, and yet I haven't seen the option on the diplomacy screen. Is there a needed tech or something?

Comment

As for the original topic, yes, I'd be very happy if the modern eras were fleshed out a bit more. Right now, the end game feels quite a bit weaker than the ancient game.

Part of it is the fact that techs come at you so quickly in the end game, but part of it is just that there should be more options for the end game. In the beginning, there's a lot of strategic possibilities, but by the end of the game, you know what you're aiming for... it's just a matter of waiting for techs/culture/your enemies to fall before you.

Comment

It's under "let's discus something else" I think.

Comment

There are a lot of things you can do under "let's discuss something else."

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
                It's under "let's discus something else" I think.
                Really? I thought I tried that... But the only option was the ability to ask what they felt about the idiot I was attacking with them. Maybe I'll have to double check next time.

Comment

I remember once clicking on it and seeing "We would like you to attack" as an option.

Comment

I think they weakened spies for a good reason.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Very good idea. I don't know whether it has to be "Cold War" specifically, but dedicating the next expansion pack to enhanced diplomacy (maybe a diplomat great person, a possibility of multilateral alliances), espionnage and other "soft" means of conflict would make for a great theme.
                      The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                      - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Simplicity

Really? I thought I tried that... But the only option was the ability to ask what they felt about the idiot I was attacking with them. Maybe I'll have to double check next time.
                        It's a bit hard to figure out, but you can do it when you and the civ you are talking to are at war with the same enemy - then, when contacting him, choose the option "Let's talk about something else" rather than going to the trading screen - and then you will have an option to coordinate an attack.
                        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                        - Frank Herbert

Comment

I think ajbera has some really good ideas. And if this doesn't make it as an expansion, it should definetly be put in Civ V. =D
                          Frieden, Land, Brot und Demokratie.

Comment

I like the idea. I love the political manueverings and the behind the scenes manipulation, etc. Maybe have an actual Cold War scenario where if you're not real careful, you can accidentally end up sparking a nuclear war

There needs to be a way to give units. I think they took it out to keep, say Rome from getting SEALs, but you should be able to build tanks and sell or give them to Vassal States. Fund an arms race.
                            I don't know what I've been told!
                            Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                            Love to press the Buster Switch!
                            Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

God knows how much will change before Civ V.

Comment

Working...
                              X