Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Civilization Newsletter!

Hey all!

I'm publishing a Civilization (I, II, III, IV, and all expansions) Newsletter that I'm going to send out every other week, containing Civ News, ratings of Expansion packs and new games (both by editors and readers), reader-scheduled matches (with other readers), Polls on multiple subjects (such as best UU's, etc.), mail-in prizes (eventually ), ladder game hosting, and reader-submitted tales of their triumphs and travails in the civ world, which other readers can rate!

If you would like to subscribe to it, either post your E-mail here and I will send you the subscription form, or if you would feel more comfortable you can E-mail me at jhacket@comcast.net with the subject "Interested" and I will reply with the subscription form!

As stated on the form when you recieve it, you can either get the newsletter by mail (address or P.O. box) or E-mail, whichever you prefer.

There sadly is a minimal charge (monthly or yearly, as you prefer, listed in the subscription form), after all, I'm working hard on making and maintaining it, but you'll get the first MONTH'S WORTH OF ISSUES upon subscription COMPLETELY free. When you get it, then you can decide whether or not you want to continue the subscription and begin the (minimal) charging process.

Thanks for at least checking this post out lol. If you are interested, don't hesitate to E-mail me or post your E-mail! I'll be waiting, trust me lol.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Goobernatorial; July 17, 2006, 13:46.

Charge? Good luck.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Ambitious indeed, and good luck . I certainly won't subscribe to a for-charge Civ newsletter, though .
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It would never be an extraneous charge. It would only be about $5 a year, at most. So don't let that turn you away!

Comment

That's certainly a most reasonable price, I think a number of people who have no inside information on Civ might be interested .

Then again, it might be a good idea to start a bit smaller. Don't offer to physically mail the newsletters, do the first 2-3 for free, then see if the people would be willing to pay a symbolic price. Mailing newsletters won't be much of a loss - I strongly doubt that there would be many people who'd want it in the mail instead of e-mail.

Comment

That's probably true, but I offer the option nonetheless, for those people who want to print it out. I'm definately sending the first one out free, and I'm thinking of an entire month's worth free. I will probably do that.

I'm glad you believe $5 a year is reasonable, because I know that is what I would be willing to pay. lol.

Note: First post edited, now a month's worth is free!

Comment

Hmm, I saulte your enthusiasm, but I think I can get all those things at this very forum.

Comment

Well, 5$ a year is reasonable because that is really a symbolic price even for people in countries that are significantly more poor that the US/Western Europe.

You may also want to post the first issue on the web, not just to subscribers. That way people will see if the newsletter has anything in it to warrant subscription over just reading the forums. There's also quite a number of people that will read the newsletter if posted online, but otherwise won't bother to fill out a form to get that first issue, even for free.

Comment

Thank you, DrSpike. Well, I'm not forcing anybody to sign up, I figured it could be for the people who just wanted to read civ news and stuff while not on the pc, where they can print it out and get it in the mail and read it at their own leisure while watching TV and such. I've already got one game to give away to in the first issue, also.

It's up to people who want to sign up tho. I'm just a die-hard civ fan trying to help out other Civ fans while learning more about it myself.

Comment

That's true as well, solver, and I looked into a website and I'm thinking of making one for the newsletter. That way people can have an easy registration form right online. I could post the first issue online, but I'd need a site first.

Comment

Free webhosting is plentiful. Or you could post the first issue as forum threads here and over on CFC. That would cover a lot of the Civ audience.

And don't worry, even if this idea doesn't turn out to be a success, a dedicated Civ diehard can always find ways to do something for the Civ community. That's how I started here, first hoping to contribute something to the community, then hoping to contribute more, and getting into quite a good position later .

Comment

Thanks for your help, solver. I hope it does do well...but I need to realize that it may not go well at all.

I'm going to work my hardest and try and make the newsletter somewhere where people can find something they can't find in other civ sources, and I hope it works.

Comment

From where I am standing, that's exactly the hardest part. By far the hardest. I mean, "make the newsletter somewhere where people can find something they can't find in other civ sources". There are two major forums, Apolyton and CFC, and among the posters there are the best Civ4 players, the most talented modders, Firaxis consultants, and even other game designers (Brad Wardell, the designer of GalCiv posts here). Given that, you'll not have an easy time coming up with something that these two forums don't have - but I certainly wish you luck.

Comment

We need more good staff at Apolyton; maybe you should consider applying.

Comment

You don't think I can hand out enough PCRs myself Spikey ?

Comment

Working...
                              X