Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Palpster
    yimboli,

thanks for taking the time and all, but...ehm....we were specifically talking about "amongst equals "...
    hahaha so you were! fair enough mate

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd
      Also, amongst equals, your most experienced unit always defends so you suffer some of the AI's stupidity in survial. A raider three alongside a virgin troop will step into the breach. heroic, but yet, ffs.
      I have always thought it would be the unit with the strongest defence against a particular attacker would be selected to defend.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I have always thought it would be the unit with the strongest defence against a particular attacker would be selected to defend.
        Yes, but amongst equals the most experienced is chosen.

So if two swordsman standing around having a smoke come under attack from a bad tempered axeman the one with city raider three will say to his city raider one buddy "don't worry son, I'll take care of this" shortly before he's hacked to ribbons.

It's annoying.
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

It doesn't seem to be all that common. Say if you put a couple of longbowman with city defender(s) in a city they pretty much become the designated defenders.

Speaking of which is there a way to designate defenders in Civ 4? I can't quite remember.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz Maru
            I've seen AI gunpowder units with City Raider before, so I don't consider it an exploit.
            I think that's by accident. The AI doesn't specifically think about it.

I do consider it a slight exploit, since it obviously breaks the designed rock/paper/scissors methodology for the early gunpowder phase.

The design seems to clearly be Cavalry for offense, Riflemen for defensive counter to Cavalry, and Grenadier to cover Cavalry against the Riflemen.

So to mount a great offensive requires tech tree advances along the top (to get Music and Military Tradition), and the bottom (to get Grenadiers and Cannon). To mount a respectable defense requires just the study along the middle to get Rifling.

Being able to make Macemen with City Raider I+II (pretty easy with barracks and civic choice) and upgrade to Grenadier pretty much breaks that design and lets you field an offensive army almost easier than a defensive one.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Speaking of which is there a way to designate defenders in Civ 4? I can't quite remember.
              No, but their should be.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

No, but their should be.
                Indeed, I lost my crack ninja elephant squads who were stationed in a forward town waiting for reinforcements because they were stronger on defence than the archers who were meant to be the defence. I'd have much prefered my archers were killed so my elephants could hurl their deadly shurikens into the wounded enemy as my surviving archers are unable to sally effectively.
                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

had a chariot get amphibious once

never made to the modern times
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                    had a chariot get amphibious once

never made to the modern times
                    I have an amphibious elephant just now, he's a lovely fellow.
                    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd

Indeed, I lost my crack ninja elephant squads who were stationed in a forward town waiting for reinforcements because they were stronger on defence than the archers who were meant to be the defence. I'd have much prefered my archers were killed so my elephants could hurl their deadly shurikens into the wounded enemy as my surviving archers are unable to sally effectively.
                      It's happened to me too. So annoying when you nurture a unit to high level and he steps up for the wrong job and dies.

Comment

Working...
                      X