Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City on top of Resources

Sorry If this question is elsewhere.

What happens if you found your city on top of a resource, knowingly or not? Is there anyway for the city to use that resource properly?
    Flash
    Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
    the Moderator of the World Creators

Once the required improvement has been researched the city will have access to the resource. However the tile will not gain any boost in food, production or commerce.

E.g. If a city is built on bananas. When calender is researched the city will get the health bonus (as will other cities in the civ connected to it) but the tile (as seen in the city screen) will not gain a boost in food production.
    LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

On higher difficulties, founding on a metal is a commonly used tactic to prevent pillaging.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Thedrin
        Once the required improvement has been researched the city will have access to the resource. However the tile will not gain any boost in food, production or commerce.

E.g. If a city is built on bananas. When calender is researched the city will get the health bonus (as will other cities in the civ connected to it) but the tile (as seen in the city screen) will not gain a boost in food production.
        I remember founding a city, on eigher marble or stone (forgot which) and I got an extra production on that tile (and it was on hills/plains so I got a total of 3 base production per turn there)

Comment

Stone and marble naturally give extra production without any improvement. I often move my initial settler to a marble or stone resource so that I can get an early production boost, or better yet; onto a plains hill with marble or stone so that the city tile gives 3 hammers immeadiately.

You get a similar effect from building a rice resource on grassland. 3 food in the city tile instead of two but the discovery of agriculture won't increase the tile output any further.
          LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            On higher difficulties, founding on a metal is a commonly used tactic to prevent pillaging.
            This is a very good idea when your civ has a strong UU (I'm thinking praetorians), that you only have one supply of the needed reasource.

Very important IMO, at higher levels, with aggressive neighbours.
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by nugog

This is a very good idea when your civ has a strong UU (I'm thinking praetorians), that you only have one supply of the needed reasource.

Very important IMO, at higher levels, with aggressive neighbours.
              Indeed, if there are no acceptable squares near the resource square, no matter what difficulty I am playing at, I will just go ahead and found the town on the resource square. If its a crucial resource for a UU (say, iron for Praetorians
              , that just makes it more likely)

Comment

Hmmm,
                Thank you all Very much. I haven't played past Noble yet, but I am working on a map where I'm going to place the natural resources in their proper places. Although my new atlas shows resources literally everywhere so I'm not sure how heavily to place them and how they affected a city built on top of them.
                Flash
                Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Originally posted by Flash
                  Hmmm,
                  Thank you all Very much. I haven't played past Noble yet, but I am working on a map where I'm going to place the natural resources in their proper places. Although my new atlas shows resources literally everywhere so I'm not sure how heavily to place them and how they affected a city built on top of them.
                  Just make sure Rome has at least one source of iron.........
                  I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by nugog

Just make sure Rome has at least one source of iron.........
                    More interesting, perhaps, if Rome had to fight for its Iron with lesser tools.

Comment

real men don't play with overpowered praetorians. .

Comment

I once had a game where it was me and arabia next to each other, I was rome, I had horses and they had iron.

So go figure.

Comment

Working...
                        X