Biggest mistake you made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest mistake you made

Even though I had Civ 4 since the beginning I made my biggest mistake last night....playing a tight Archipeligo game and coming up to the end. I rushed to plastics for the Three Gorges, then noticed that not one of my cities on my main two islands were built next to a river, had to build it on the third Island I had just taken from the Egyptians

why build it at all? It only affects cities on the same continent.

Comment

I learned my lesson back in PTW. I had 5 islands with 4-7 cities each, none were on rivers. I somehow settled every single island so the AI didn't settle on rivers like they usally do. Incase anyone wants to know how I settled 5 islands, once you find the shortest place to cross the ocean put a gally on the end of the strait and somehow it increases your chances of crossing. My biggest cIV mistake was when I had decided to stop playing as Ceaser and wasn't used to needing large armies. I ended up attacking Washington way to early so it became a long drawn out war.
      Last edited by Will9; July 11, 2006, 18:08.
      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
        second biggest mistake made
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I made a similar mistake with 3 Gorges - I was on a very large continent, but none of my major production cities was on a river. Consequently I wound up burning 2 Great Engineers and it still took forever to build...
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

good point mate, I was determined to get it as I would be in a Space race soon, but just denying it to Ashoka was probably worth it

Comment

On a continent game after conquering the whole continent I started to build my horde for my version of D-Day and realized that I had no coastal cities. I can't believe I went that far into the game and didn't notice it.

I've made worse mistakes.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Screw-ups never usually happen in isolation.

Comment

I make loads of mistakes all the time, but the biggest must've been when I kept a great engineer in reserve for completing...I don't even remember what it was, but I felt it to be pretty crucial for my civ at the time. Anyways, I start building the wonder in my capital....totally forget I had the great engineer and lose the wonder to a rival civ 1 turn before mine's finished...in the next turn I rediscover my engineer who's still dreaming peacefully...I quit that game and didn't play Civ for a week feeling unworthy of such a great game

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    On a continent game after conquering the whole continent I started to build my horde for my version of D-Day and realized that I had no coastal cities. I can't believe I went that far into the game and didn't notice it.

I've certainly had a couple times when my arctic fishing village becomes my only navy base, but no coastal cites? None?

Well done...

Comment

Originally posted by rah

I don't get it. The manual says it only provides power for the cities on the continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                        I don't get it. The manual says it only provides power for the cities on the continent.
                        Well, on an archipelago map, the "continents" aren't very big
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by rah

I hope you just popped a settler and went ahead with the invasion...
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            I always try and build it.

And I always play on Pangea
                            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by nugog
                              And I always play on Pangea
                              Tsk, tsk. That's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X