Hidden leader abilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden leader abilities

Do any leaders have any undocumented abilities that I don't know about? In this game, my GNP was second to Washington. I thought he'd just managed to eek out a lot of commerce from the frozen tundra up north of his starting area, then I found this...
    Attached Files
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

I think cottages can be built on any land tile that is A) Buildable and B) Provides food...

Comment

If that's the case, Blake, then my installation is bugged, because I've only been able to build them on terrain that is also C) flat land. Plains, grassland, or flood plains has been fine, but hills are right out.

Comment

Well I've always been able to build cottages on grassland hills. Plains hills, desert hills, tundra hills and ice hills all produce no food - as such cottages can't be built on those hill types.

Comment

I also have built cottages on grassland hills, so it is definitely a normal part of a civ game

Comment

Yep, me too.

Something I think would be neat would be if you pop a hut with a city border it becomes a fully developed town.

You'd need to be able to protect huts from the AI somehow, probably just a rule change about when you enter the hut tile or something. Having nice towns sitting about would also change the way you deal with barbarians I think.
            www.neo-geo.com

Comment

another thing I never thought of....

list just keeps on growing

thanks all
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I've gotten them on grassland hills but not any of the others...

Comment

I've never actually done it, but yes you can build cottages on grass hills. I've captured a number of AI cities that had them. I prefer windmills or mines, myself.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I chuckle everytime I see the option to build a cottage on a grassland hill. While hills are great places for a city, when I see a cottage on a hill I think of some of the houses I saw in Los Angeles that have a vertical drop down a big hill instead of a lawn. Some might find a use, but I'm a little more conventional I guess.

Comment

I often build them on hillls, depending on the circumstances. Under Universal Suffrage you can get two production, one food, and a metric buttload of of commerce, seems like a good deal.

Comment

Well, I don't know what caused it, but I reinstalled the game and patched back to 1.61, and now it will let me build them on grassland hills. Unfortunately, now the game crashes sometimes while loading save games. Figures.

Comment

Even before the patch, you could build cottages on grassland hills.

I always do that.

If you have 1 grassland and two grasshill tiles for example, it's better to farm the grassland and cottage the 2 grasshills than cottage the grassland and windmill the 2 hills.

Comment

id second AshenPlanet point,

ive always built them on grassland hills if its a commerce city. tho the often start as mines before being changed to cottages once im near working all the squares.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Justice
                              id second AshenPlanet point,

ive always built them on grassland hills if its a commerce city. tho the often start as mines before being changed to cottages once im near working all the squares.
                              Same here. I mine them for early production at greater than zero food, then change them to windmills for productive cities and cottage them for commerce cities. This change is relatively late in the game, but the cottages are always an option.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X