Flood Plains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood Plains

There are 3 deserts on a river, but none are flood plains. I thought this was impossible. If want a screen shot you'll have to tell me how to take them.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Sometimes people just get unlucky.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Are you playing a scenario? In my (limited) experience it seems that the random map generator always makes deserts next to rivers flood plains, though I have no proof for that... however, in premade maps, there's no guarantee at all that a desert next to a river is a flood plain.
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Nah, it's uncommon, but you do get desert next to rivers. Most maps have at least one example of it I think.
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

It was a random map. After I posted that I found another desert on a river but not flood plain.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
            It was a random map. After I posted that I found another desert on a river but not flood plain.
            Are you using Smartmap? Some of the older versions of that would not display the floodplains graphic on tiles that were in fact flood plains.

And it's not that uncommon, even in vanilla Civ4, for a desert tile next to a river. You may have just caught the wrong end of the RNG.

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz Maru

Are you using Smartmap? Some of the older versions of that would not display the floodplains graphic on tiles that were in fact flood plains.

And it's not that uncommon, even in vanilla Civ4, for a desert tile next to a river. You may have just caught the wrong end of the RNG.
              No, It wasn't Smartmap. Besides when I put the curser over it, it just said desert.

Comment

I've seen it, recently, on a standard continents map. I had 2 or 3 desert/river tiles.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Was a city built on the tile? If you build a city on a flood plain the flood plain will disappear - just like a forest would. Consequently, razing the city produces a desert tile next to a river.
                  LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

That's an interesting observation Thedrin

But yeah, occasionally you do get straight desert tiles next to a river. Just a bug, I think.

Comment

Desert on river occurs sometimes, it's not a bug. Although i guess you could read the map code if you wanted to be sure
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                        That's an interesting observation Thedrin
                        Barbarians ruining great unclaimed city locations.
                        LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedrin

Barbarians ruining great unclaimed city locations.
                          The city still gets the standard city production, doesn't it? So just build the city over the ruins and "no harm done".

Regular desert next to rivers is reasonable. Flood plains should only exist where the surrounding terrain is flat or near where the river empties into a lake, sea, or ocean.

What would be nice is if (non-flood-plain) desert tiles next to fresh water could be irrigated or possibly have cottages. I discovered (quite by accident) that even though normal tundra can't be irrigated, tundra next to fresh water can.
                          The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedrin
                            Was a city built on the tile? If you build a city on a flood plain the flood plain will disappear - just like a forest would. Consequently, razing the city produces a desert tile next to a river.
                            In my case, no. The desert tiles were there in the beginning, and eventually a city was build near them, but not on them. I captured said city from the AI with chariots in somethingorother BC.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by patcon

What would be nice is if (non-flood-plain) desert tiles next to fresh water could be irrigated or possibly have cottages. I discovered (quite by accident) that even though normal tundra can't be irrigated, tundra next to fresh water can.

Although on reading this, I must have had some crappy starts/city locations, because I've constantly been irrigating Tundra since day 1 :sad:
                              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
                              X