Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Gripes - One big, one small - whaddaya think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with not using enemy roads and rails. It was a silly thing in Civ III to use rails and roads right through the whole enemy country. In war one tends to blow key bridges and rails as one retreats. You have to remember the scale in this game. Many real-world countries would only be a few hexes wide.

A realistic compromise, though might be to add a movement point to tanks and mech inf. and I think it is unrealistic to allow gunships large movement over enemy terrain. While it's technically possible, it is not tactically possible.

Another compromise would be to "convert" territory as you move over it, especially later in the game. The color should change over to represent rebuilding roads, bridges and rails. Perhaps you would lose one unit for every ten hexes or something like that to represent the nessecity of garisons in captured territory.

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7
      I can see railroads being unusable, but roads being unusable just makes no sense. Make them less useful, but don't make them worthless.
      (shrug) If you know the enemy is coming, it's simple enough to slow down their advance, even without a large army. Downed trees across the road, pit traps, land mines, snipers, destroyed bridges, poisoned wells, barbed wire, ect; at any time in history, with any level of technology, they can find ways to slow you down. Advancing through enemy terratory always takes much longer then you would expect. It was true in ancient times, it was true during the American civil war, it was true for Naopleon trying to march through Russia, and it was true for American forces trying to move around roads in Vietnam.

Yeah, in real life, you can use the roads to some extent, but moving through enemy terretory with any degree of caution is generally much slower going then moving through friendly terratory.

Comment

Modern War can be even faster if you have a nice number of costal cities to hit with Marines.

Honestly, the "can't use enemy roads" change is probaly my favorite Gameplay change in Civ4. It makes culture feel like a more comprehensive feature. Warfare was just idiotic being able to zoom through the enemies territory on thier railroads.

Comment

Working...
        X