Questions, problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions, problems...

Alright. I'm on my way to winning my first game on Noble (Marathon, Huge, Continents, 11 Civs).

First, the problem: I don't have the option to build 3 Gorges Dam, despite having researched Plastics. In fact, the only techs I'm missing are Medicine, Fission, Ecology, and Fusion. 3 Gorges isn't even a grayed-out icon in the build icon list. I first thought I must have started it somewhere and forgotten, but I haven't.

Am I missing some unobvious requirement... like I have to build it in a city with a freshwater lake in the radius or something... or is this a bug?

Also... how worried should I be that Montezuma and Genghis are my immediate neighbours? Monty recently got into the habit of cruising along my shores with fleet made up of Frigates, Galleons, and about 20 Riflemen and Cannon. I'm far ahead of him in tech (and now have a stack of about a dozen Tanks and Modern Armours ready to oppose a landing), but I'm concerned that if I try for a space win, I'll get sneak attacked. So is it better that I just crush him now? The problem with crushing him is that Huanya may make up some ground on me.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

I think I answered my own question... the 3GD city needs to be on a river, correct?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

1. Yes, you need to build the 3GD in a city on a river.
      2. See if you can bribe one into attacking another. Or maybe get Huanya into attacking one of them, or one of them on Hua.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        2. See if you can bribe one into attacking another. Or maybe get Huanya into attacking one of them, or one of them on Hua.
        Alas, they're all chummy. All of them have the war option redded out for one another.

Background: Me, Huanya, Kublai (my mistake earlier in saying it was Genghis) and Monty have been friends 4-ever. Huanya is actually still at Friendly with me - Monty and Kublai are Pleased, due to our close borders. The four of us (and our slightly slow sidekick, Napoleon) have been carving up the globe - Huanya took most of Cyrus's cities, I took Washington's, Mansa's and most of Bismarck's, and Monty and I split up Asoka. Well, I got most of Asoka's stuff. Napoleon provided polite applause and cash flow. Anyway, I'm in the lead, although Huanya has a HUGE southern empire - 30 cities, and almost all of them are the size 10+ variety. So Huanya makes me nervous - and he's making up ground in the tech department, fast. But if I attack him in strength, I'm leaving myself vulnerable to Monty, who almost certainly will stop liking me if I tee off on Huanya...

I'm sort of tempted to show up on Huanya's doorstep with a few boatloads of tanks, declare war, and blitz his 3 most cultured cities. Burning those down (I couldn't hold them, at this point) would buy me some time - he's looking like a culture victory threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
          I'm sort of tempted to show up on Huanya's doorstep with a few boatloads of tanks, declare war, and blitz his 3 most cultured cities. Burning those down
          \

Do it do it do it do it!!!! I promise you, it will be way way more fun than building some silly space ship components. Do it!! And blitz Monty and Kublai if they try anything funny.. Do it!!!!!
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
            I'm sort of tempted to show up on Huanya's doorstep with a few boatloads of tanks, declare war, and blitz his 3 most cultured cities. Burning those down (I couldn't hold them, at this point) would buy me some time - he's looking like a culture victory threat.
            Sounds perfect

If needed leave the troops in his territory to pillage as much of his infrastructure as possible, before they make the ultimate sacrifice for your empire.

Honestly it sounds like the best way out of the situation your in.

And if you have enough money, you never know, Nappy may just agree to join in.

Have fun doing it
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I would just build up defense along Monty's border and build the space ship. If you're ahead on tech, then if Monty attacks you and you're prepared for him, you should be able to win the war without taking significant economic damage or slowing down the space program.

Alternatly, just blitz Monty; a war can be profitable. Huanya will probably not attack you if you fight Monty; but Monty *will* attack you if you go to war with someone else and weaken your defenses, and fighting a 2 front war=not fun. Once you crush monty, then either go for the space race or crush Huanya, whichever you're in the mood for. But I wouldn't start a war with someone else while Monty is on your border; i've learned my lesson on that one.

Comment

Working...
              X