No announcement yet.

The AI cheats on Noble, correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civ 4 is written with Hungarian notation. This is a system of prefixing variables with their types. Here are some of the ones I've seen in the files:

i = integer, or perhaps an enumeration
    b = boolean, true/false
    a = array (always used with something else)
    p = pointer (to something)

For example, apaiStuff is an array of pointers to arrays of integers, which represent Stuff.
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by padillah
      My other favorite is in CIV4BonusInfos.xml, iConstAppearance. Well, if it's a CONST why can I change it?! What the heck does that even mean?
      Well a constant in a program is a value the program itself cannot change, but can be changed by a user, say, between runs.

Com'on, don't tell me it slipped your mind
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If I had to (take a wild) guess, the Const is like the constant factor in a polynomial.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
          Civ 4 is written with Hungarian notation. This is a system of prefixing variables with their types. Here are some of the ones I've seen in the files:

i = integer, or perhaps an enumeration
          b = boolean, true/false
          a = array (always used with something else)
          p = pointer (to something)

For example, apaiStuff is an array of pointers to arrays of integers, which represent Stuff.
          Thanks, but It's not the Hungarian notation I have an issue with. It's the vague meandering variable names that I have a problem with.

I mean, I fully understand that bArea is a boolean, but a boolean WHAT? "Yes, this has an area", "Yes, there is only one per area", Yes, an area what?

Or, better yet, iRandApp1. That's an integer that tells you what?

And then you get conflicts like iMinAreaSize = 3 but bArea = 0 (that's for Aluminum). How can the minimum area be 3 when there is not an area? Or what area is bArea talking about not having that's other than the area we need a minimum of 3 for?

Hungarian notation I can deal with, I've been doing this for a while, it's the other stuff besides the hungarian notation that's killing me.

None of which has to do with the AI cheating so, back on topic.

Yes, the AI has bonuses on all levels to a greater or lesser degree. The semantics of describing it as cheating must be left up to the individual.

Tom P.

Comment

@All RE: XML variables. I am planning on running a few tests to determine if I can find a relationship between some of these variables.

The first thing I have to do is zero out all but one bonus and work my way up as I figure out what is going on (always assuming I will be able to draw any conclusions at all).

Since I am currently in the middle of a financial program and rivers in WP it may take a while.

Tom P.

Comment

Working...
            X