No announcement yet.

No Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well.. you can upgrade all the same unit types at the same time.

But as Ming said, because of the new protmotion system, you don't normally want to waste money upgrading everybody.. just the good ones. So then you still pretty much have to remember where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancidlunchmeat

While I've never looked since I would never want to do so... How do you do that? I didn't know that feature existed in IV...
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How? I have looked around and can't find this in 'pedia or through the military advisor. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
        One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
        "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Hold down alt while upgrading. The only thing that I don't know is how it chooses which units to upgrade if you don't have enough money to upgrade every unit.

It upgrades the unit you are currently on, but then it 'picks' the other units you have money to upgrade.

(IE: archers in every city, click on one archer in one city to upgrade to longbow, hold down alt, and it will upgrade all archers in all cities to longbows. Or, rather.. it will upgrade all the archers in all the cities to longbows that you have the money to do.)

Comment

Also I believe there's a game option which auto-upgrades units... I would never use this feature.

Currently the cost of upgrading units is INSANELY way too expensive. Time to go digging for a MOD_component which returns this back to reality.

Comment

Hold down alt while upgrading. The only thing that I don't know is how it chooses which units to upgrade if you don't have enough money to upgrade every unit.

It upgrades the unit you are currently on, but then it 'picks' the other units you have money to upgrade.

(IE: archers in every city, click on one archer in one city to upgrade to longbow, hold down alt, and it will upgrade all archers in all cities to longbows. Or, rather.. it will upgrade all the archers in all the cities to longbows that you have the money to do.)
              Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks. Not sure I'll ever be able to afford it, but this is good to know.
              One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by NTJedi
                Also I believe there's a game option which auto-upgrades units... I would never use this feature.

Currently the cost of upgrading units is INSANELY way too expensive. Time to go digging for a MOD_component which returns this back to reality.
                Really, the current upgrading system works well, I think. In civ III, it was always a good idea to upgrade units. Now, it's more of an interesting choice; it's expensive, but it's still a very powerful option, especally if you need an army NOW, or if you have highly experenced troops, or if your city with obsolete units is about to be attacked.

Later in the game, upgrading is often the best stratagy; I'll often drop science by 20% or so temproarally just to get money to upgrade when I need it. However, it's never easy, which is a good thing.

Upgrading warriers early on is unnessecary anyway. Your early warriers you used to scout with can still be effective against barbarian archers and such if you use them properly, especally if you got some exp points with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Yosho
                  If you want it balanced, just play on noble.
                  Or he could address the issue by modifying HandicapInfo.XML.

Don't forget to make a copy of the original and put the copy in your own custom assets folder before editing.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't think there's a game option that auto-upgrades.

That would actually be rather retarded.

What would happen? All of a sudden you'd drop from 2000 gp to zero because all your axemen became macemen?

There's a game option that auto-promotes.

Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Comment

I could be wrong... I'll know tonight.... however I do recall a game setting which does auto promoting of units.

Comment

Is it under options?

Comment

I don't think there's a game option that auto-upgrades.

That would actually be rather retarded.

What would happen? All of a sudden you'd drop from 2000 gp to zero because all your axemen became macemen?

I think you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Prussia
                            Is it under options?
                            Yeah, it's right in the beginning. It's not in the custom game settings.

It's in the other settings with stacked units, show enemy moves, workers keep improvements, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by rjwoer

I think you're right.
                              Looks like I was right

thanks Rancidlunchmeat for finding the game setting I was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by NTJedi

Looks like I was right

Huh?

There's a game option that auto-upgrades?

I didn't look for it last night because.. well, I'm 99% positive it doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X