Civ 4 Vs SP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 4 Vs SP2

Nothing better to do with my time so i reformatted my PC loaded in a clean install of XP with SP1, and all the usual core components that o with it I.E. Lan, USB, Sound, Internet Etc....

Then loaded in Civ 4....Ran Civ 4....it worked.

Updated Civ 4 to V1.61 ....Ran Civ 4....it worked.

Updated Windows with SP2, ....Ran Civ 4.... and got an error....

Apparently there's something wrong with the renderer...direct x wont activate...But when i test Direct X, the results say there is nothing wrong.

What's a guy to do to play this bloody game?!? Have a dedicate PC with nothing on it appart from Civ 4 and a firewall?

Can anyone help out here? Going to try and load SP3 and see if it fixes it!

I would speculate that SP2 overwrote the DX9 files that Civ4 wants. On the Civ4 CD, there's a DirectX setup file, try launching that to reinstall Civ4's version of DirectX.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: Civ 4 Vs SP2

Originally posted by Wad-l
      Nothing better to do with my time so i reformatted my PC loaded in a clean install of XP with SP1, and all the usual core components that o with it I.E. Lan, USB, Sound, Internet Etc....

Then loaded in Civ 4.
      What you should have done is installed SP2 immediately after installing Windows, since that's the best time to do it, before any other files get installed or updated. As the other poster suggested, try reinstalling DirectX off the Civ4 CD and see if that helps, but if it doesn't you may have to reformat and reinstall Windows again, and this time remember to install SP2 first.

Comment

Tried that... The only difference was that the windows firewall tab was active and selected instead of grayed out, and the patch worked better (didn't give up the usual error message)...just reinstalled window again....dont think i'll bother with SP2.

Comment

I've used slipstreamed CDs to freshly install XP SP1 and SP2. It's worked fine and skips the obsolete Windows. The only thing I've ever noticed is that in SP2 the system file checker will not work.
          Broogan Dreadbow
          WindowsXP Pro SP2, AMD AthlonXP 2800+, ASUS A7V600, ATI Radeon 9800Pro/128, TB Santa Cruz, 3x512MB PC2700 DDR, Seagate 200GB, Maxtor 40GB

Comment

Working...
          X