Another video card help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another video card help

Well, CIV doesn't work on my comp since I only have an on-board video card. So I'm thinking about achieving one for the *sole* purpose of getting CIV to run.
    Which means, I want to spend as little money as possible, buying via ebay. If possible, I want to spend less than €40,-
    Does such a cheap, CIV supporting card exist?

I have 512 MB RAM and 2,8GB processor, just as additional info.

Thanks for the help,
    Wernazuma
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

The minimum card that would support Civ4 is GeForce2, but that's way too old and too slow, even for Civ4.

I recommend a GeForce FX 5200 for you. It's the worst video card of its series, and should be quite cheap. I'd certainly not recommend it buying normally, as it's significantly out-of-date, but if all you want to do is to run Civ4, that will do.

Alternatively, there's an even older card, the GeForce 4 Ti4200. It's an awesome card, in fact. It performs better than some cards that are from a newer series. So yeah, if your goal is to get a cheap Civ4-supporting card, my overall suggestion would be this.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll check ebay for a FX5200 then. IIRC, I saw one going for a whooping Euro. Just about my range of financial possibilities.

Honestly, for all my purposes except playing CIV, my on-board is absolutely sufficient, so for the moment I simply need one for playing Civ. Should I notice one day that I seriously need a new video card (Windows Vista?), I'll buy a better one, not now.

So, thanks for the tip.
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

The question is whether you want Vista in the first place, and whether you want to have it running in the uber-cool effects mode. I honestly find the requirements of Vista ridicilous, to run that cool-looking interface, it wants a card that is currently good enough to run every game out there pretty well... bah.

Again, also consider the GeForce4 Ti4200, it's actually a faster card than the FX5200, though older. I think it may even perform slightly better with Civ4, because Civ4 would care about the core clock speed more than the shader performance... hmm. I haven't tried that out . But the FX5200 should do anyway.

Comment

Just exhibiting even more my ignorance. I find many video card offers for GeForce ####, but they differ. Some are from nvidia, but there are also others like "Club 3D GeForce####" or "MEDION GeForce####". So, what about that? Is only the nvidia card the real thing?

Comment

Well, technically, you can get those Club 3D or Chaintech cards, they're manufactured by other folks. But GeForces are still designed by nVidia, no matter who manufactures them.

Comment

Working...
            X