Starting a religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a religion

OK I understand a bit about religion in the game, but I have some very basic questions.

If I start out using a civ that does NOT have mysticism (Japan), and there are multiple opponents, I have noticed that I get beat to the other religions unless I am willing to go with Judaism. This takes a LOT of turns.

I am leaning toward playing the Japanese, because I LOVE the samurai, as long as I find iron .

Should I avoid founding Judaism and just go in a different direction? I definately want to take advantage of these guys as soon as I can so I can start my offensive with them.

What problems will not founding a religion cause me? How do I deal with these problems?

Any advice on how to deal with this apparent disadvantage would be helpful and appreciated.

The main early benefit of having a religion is the cultural expansion of your cities. To get your second and later cities to expand to work all their fat cross tiles requires culture. If you don't have a religion you can only get this from Stonehenge/obelisks or libraries.

If I don't start with Mysticism I don't bother with the early three religions but just live with the situation and try for Code of Laws and the CS slingshot so I often found Confucianism.

If you have a neighbour who founds a religion you will probably catch it from them and that's good enough. If they have the shrine city you can always take it from them later.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The rush to found a religion is counterproductive because there is greater benefit from learning agriculture, animal husbandry, bronze working, pottery, archery, for their benefits to your economy, food prodution or defence. After these are learnt, then consider religion.

Comment

there is no harm in picking a religon that is already discovered, in fact this helps...depending on who the other civs are

if you spread enough religon to other civs, its cash in the bank later

or even discover more than 1
        Last edited by Addled Platypus; May 23, 2006, 05:44.
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I have managed to found Buddhisim playing Rome after I have researched 5 other techs. I managed to draw a game where none of the ai's had myst. Weird.

I also have managed to play with myst and get all 7. I was trying to build all 7 shrines. Missed it by 2.

Also, I find that declaring a religion early on when you found more than one is not such a good idea. You only get culture from your state relgion if you declare one. If you don't then you get culture from all of them. I pretty much only declare one if I want to run Theocracy and get the xp points. I will run Org Relgion to spread all of them around though.

Comment

If I don't start with Myst I go for Hinduism, as it seems to me that the AI ignores it, and everyone rushes for Buddism.

I also really try and get Judaism, as it seems to spread faster/more easily. This is probably due to when it is founded in the game in relation to trade routes and close borders etc. The Judasim shrine then really pulls in the cash!
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Religion can be quite useful but it's not at all essential that you found a religion yourself. If religion spreads from a neighbor into even one of your cities then--if you need added culture, happiness, or civics-related bonuses--you can spread the religion from there.

If you're playing as Japan and want to get samurai right away then you could try to get Code of Laws and found Confucianism. That's right in line with the research you'll need to do to get Civil Service anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by samspock
                Also, I find that declaring a religion early on when you found more than one is not such a good idea. You only get culture from your state relgion if you declare one. If you don't then you get culture from all of them. I pretty much only declare one if I want to run Theocracy and get the xp points. I will run Org Relgion to spread all of them around though.
                I was going to say this is not a good idea. Org. Rel. gives +25% building production in every city with your state religion. With no state religion that's wasted.

But as I was looking it up I can't come up with anything other than OR that is based on state religion. I know there are things out there but I can't find any.

Tom P.

Comment

you get a happy face for having the state religion in a city. theocracy's experience bonus also requires the state religion.

i usually switch for the happy face, not for organized religion's bonus. i get monotheism fairly late

Comment

Originally posted by nugog
                    If I don't start with Myst I go for Hinduism, as it seems to me that the AI ignores it, and everyone rushes for Buddism.
                    I agree. Usually the AI will go for Buddhism first because it is cheaper. If you go straight for Hinduism, you can very often get it.

Originally posted by padillah]But as I was looking it up I can't come up with anything other than OR that is based on state religion. I know there are things out there but I can't find any.
                    Organized Religion, Theocracy, and Pacifism only benefit you in cities that have your state religion. Any cities lacking your state religion gain no benefit.
                    Last edited by Ijuin; May 26, 2006, 01:24.
                    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ijuin
                      Originally posted by padillahBut as I was looking it up I can't come up with anything other than OR that is based on state religion. I know there are things out there but I can't find any.
                      Organized Religion, Theocracy, and Pacifism only benefit you in cities that have your state religion. Any cities lacking your state religion gain no benefit.
                      The poster had already mentioned that he will pick a religion to use Theocracy for the xp's so I left it out and I'm not seeing where Pacifism is affected by state religion. All I can find is "+100% Great People birth rate. +1 gold support cost per military unit. No Upkeep."

Is this for cities with your state religion in them only?

Then that's three reasons to pick a religion... still not as overwhelming as I had originally thought.

Tom P.

Comment

The poster had already mentioned that he will pick a religion to use Theocracy for the xp's so I left it out and I'm not seeing where Pacifism is affected by state religion. All I can find is "+100% Great People birth rate. +1 gold support cost per military unit. No Upkeep."

Is this for cities with your state religion in them only?

Then that's three reasons to pick a religion... still not as overwhelming as I had originally thought.

Tom P.
                        All units nationwide get the +1 support penalty (all units above and beyond the number you are allowed for free, that is), but only cities with your state religion get the +100% Great People Points bonus.
                        Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

You can get Hinduism about half of the time, even on Monarch or Emperor after researching Mysticism. If you intend to build the Oracle or Stonehenge early (both great ways to get a Great Prophet early), then following this path can be quite beneficial.

If your intent is to rush your neighbor and kill him before he can get horses or metal connected, then go for Animal Husbandry and/or Bronze working and ignore religion early on.

Having a state religion is a good way to get good relations with the AI's that share that religion (and somewhat bad relations with AI's of other religions). Not being religious can also help you keep the peace early on.

I almost always try to get a religion fairly early for the culture and happiness.
                          "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

I guess that depends on the civ. If you play the Romans you probably want to get Ironworking ASAP.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                            X