Random game strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random game strategy

Most of the strategies posted here seem to focus on pangea/continent type play. I think this is because the AI kinda sucks at islands and trick maps like hubs and mazes. The human can quickly research boats from turn 1 and then start expanding before the AI realizes how small his starting island is.

In order to add some variety to the game, I've been playing "random" games. I'll get someone else to randomly pick a size and style of map, and randomly turn off 1 or 2 of the victory conditions. Combined with random personalities and a random leader, it makes for a very different game. I've also started having him randomly add or remove 1 or 2 AI players to change the civ density of the map.

From turn 1, you don't know if you're on an island or not. You don't know if you have room to expand or if you're cramped. Combined with the map-centering feature in Civ4, it adds a sense of discovery to the start of the game as you try to figure out what kind of world this is. Obviously expolring becomes very important.

So I'm asking all you gurus of civ, how would you adjust your strategies to this unknown world?
    Any thoughts?

I've also been thinking of how to make the game more random. I wish there was a way to change what terrains maps used without changing their continent layout. For example, a world that's cold in the center and warm on the edges, or alternating waves of heat and cold. It would make if more fun to expore the game world.

Anyone else have ideas for making the game more random?

You can choose the Shuffle map. This is similar to the "random" map option in Civ 3, although it doesn't provide the other randomizing elements that you mentioned.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
    X