Some questions (again of course)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions (again of course)

Well I am trying to decide now whether to play as Genghis or Montezuma. I started a game with each of them and was startled at the difference.

Genghis' (Mongolian) starting units take TWICE as long to build as Montezuma's (Aztec). Settlers, warriors, EVERYTHING.

Can someone explain why? They are both aggressive, which looks like should only effect barracks production.

(Is there a better choice for a new player to start out with for the starting civilization?)

Next I was playing a map where there were fish located 2 tiles off of the shore in the ocean. How do you get fish from ocean tiles, since work boats can't get there? They were fish, not whales, btw. Whale boats? My city border could not make it there for some reason. It was very nearby, like 1 tile off of the shore.

Any other advice on how to get started out on the right track would be helpful. (Starting race, speed , well anything would help lol. I am getting a bit frustrated at my total newb learning curve)

Thank you very much (really )

Units should take the same time. Were both starting cities producing the same amount of hammers? The governor will put the first citizen on a floodplain if it can so you only get the hammer from the city square. If Montezuma's first citizen was working a forest grassland his city would get an extra hammer and finish units in half the time due to twice the number of hammers per turn.

Your border should expand to take in the fish eventually, or at least a city built somewhere could in theory work that fish tile. Once it is within a cultural border a workboat can reach it.

You may be best to start with a civ that has the Organised trait as this reduces maintenance costs and makes it a bit harder to crash your economy.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

For the build time thing, you must have been playing different game speeds, like epic for monty and marathon for Genghis.

Strong civs which are straightforward to play (I'm assuming you are a bit warmongery). Caesar, Tokugawa, Kubali Khan.

Play on small or standard sized map (type doesn't matter too much), standard # of civs or slightly more than standard, normal or epic speed.

Comment

I started several games using the exact same settings (in custom game area). The only difference was taking Kahn and Montezuma as leaders. A warrior takes 11 turns for Montezuma and 22 for Kahn. Same for the others exactly twice as long to build.

I'll try again

Comment

Yes Apparently it IS the starting production resources. Sorry for my mistake, and thank you for not flaming me.

Comment

Yes, keep in mind that how much time a unit takes to build is not indicative of its cost. When you move your mouse over the icon to produce a unit, the bottom line shows the unit's cost in hammers. From there, clearly, everything depends on how many hammers you are producing.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
            X