Vassalage: I don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vassalage: I don't get it

The vassalage civic says I'm supposed to get "+11 free units." Hmm, where are they? Or how do I get them? So far I see that any units I'm building are building as usual with their normal build times. Aren't the next 11 supposed to build instantly since they're free?

free, as in no maintenance cost.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

It means you don't pay maintenance on 11 units (plus any base modifiers).

Comment

Huh, that's not particularly useful. I was hoping it was a way to quickly build a few units when someone declares war on you. Is there something that sort of helps with that? I find I'm rarely "ready" when an AI attacks--even when I'm sort of expecting an attack (because the attack can come from any direction and hit any city).

Comment

Huh, that's not particularly useful.
          It can be useful depending on how your economy is going. And what setting you are playing on.
          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by NFIH
            Huh, that's not particularly useful. I was hoping it was a way to quickly build a few units when someone declares war on you. Is there something that sort of helps with that? I find I'm rarely "ready" when an AI attacks--even when I'm sort of expecting an attack (because the attack can come from any direction and hit any city).
            A civic that lets you spontaneously generate troops is Nationalism. Each city above a certiain size (6, I think) can draft one infantry-type unit per turn, with a limit of three units draftable per turn. The new unit burns one population, and generates one unhappiness, but it appears immediately and even gets bonus promotions for barracks or civics. Using this Civic has bailed me out many times when the AI declared war.
            "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

There are two options: Nationhood and Slavery.

Slavery comes much earlier and you should be running it most of the time in the early game.

Do not hesitate to abuse your population to save it from being captured, it's better to whip a city into the dirt than to lose it to the enemy, if it gets captured it loses many buildings in the sacking, which would take a good while to rebuild, even if it can be recaptured!

I'll give you a hint, which isn't quite intuitive. You can whip certain builds without first putting any hammers into them (ie change to the unit and whip right away, and they complete *before* the enemy attacks the city), these builds at quick/normal are Warrior, Axeman, Spearman, Swordmen (including Jaguar but not Praetorian). For say the Axeman, you'll kill two population and get enough carryover to nearly complete an entire second axeman - so for the +1 for 10 turns you get 2 axemen. The population grows back really quick as long as you have a granary.

The best thing often is to just make an army in advance (but again don't hesitate to whip it out), you will be prepared and the standing army will also act as a deterrent so you might not even get attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                There are two options: Nationhood and Slavery.
                Three, actually - Universal Suffrage as well.
                Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

don't hesitate to whip it out

Said the actress.

Comment

I find I'm rarely "ready" when an AI attacks--even when I'm sort of expecting an attack (because the attack can come from any direction and hit any city).
                    That's becuase you aren't building enough units, unless we are talking about Monty or Isa (if you have a different religion).
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by NFIH?
                      I find I'm rarely "ready" when an AI attacks--even when I'm sort of expecting an attack (because the attack can come from any direction and hit any city).
                      Usually, they come from the direction of the AI, and hit your border cities
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I tend to work sort of a zone defense (not as much as I did with civ3!) where I have forces that can get to where they need to before the enemy reaches a city. Usually I attack first so there is a steady stream of reinforcements headding towards the war zone to handle stuff on the way. My interior citys rarely have more than two units each.

The ai is pretty bad with making large stacks after the first one so this works well. Kill their first stack and you own them.

Comment

Working...
                        X