No announcement yet.

Any way to make nukes more powerful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be cool if you could deactivate SDI in a custom game.
    (Firaxis, are you reading? )

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      yeah sometimes I yearn for the SMAC days. They weren't afraid to use them there. Especially if you used them.
      I think I was only ever nuked once in SMAC...

Lady Diedre decided she had had enough of me running a Controlled Economy (even though the reduced build costs allow you to produce things quickly without causing much pollution), and declared war.

After some hard slugging, I captured one of her cities (which I think contained a Secret Project), and moved a lot of damaged units into it to heal.

Two turns later, she dropped a Planet Buster on "her" city! The UN charter was still in force, so all the other factions (including several she had pulled into the war as allies against me) immediately declared war on her. I mean, who does she think she is? Chairman Yang?

I'm not sure which was more amusingly out of character - that, or the time the Gaians triggered Global Warming...

Comment

Originally posted by Grenouille
        It would be cool if you could deactivate SDI in a custom game.
        (Firaxis, are you reading? )
        Take it out of the XML (mentioned above).

Tom P.

Comment

Not everybody wants to fiddle with their files. I wouldn't mind, and neither would you, but not everybody is like us.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I would also like to see nukes made more powerful (or SDI taken down to at least 50%).

I think I found the file lines that relate to nuke strength but I'm not sure what to change because I don't know what all the values mean to begin with.

For example, there are lines with names like:

NUKE_UNIT_DAMAGE_BASE with a value of 30.

NUKE_UNIT_DAMAGE_RAND_1, value 50

NUKE_UNIT_DAMAGE_RAND_2, value 50

But what exactly do those mean?

Also, I don't know where the SDI value is. It's not in the same global defines folder.

Comment

Check out Dales combat mod. He is working on a new way of using Nukes.

It is based on the MAD concept - Mutually Assured Destruction.
              "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

How do we get Dale's combat mod?

Comment

Look in the 'Creation & files' forum.

Comment

I'll have to check it out. I really need to start modding the game myself. I used to have so much fun doing that in Civ2. But things were much easier to mod back then.

Comment

When you chaps get into a modern/future multiplayer game you'll realise nukes are king...when 6 or so are falling on your head each goddamned turn it turns a once effective empire into a desert.

Against the AI (Emperor, Ghenghis) I once took out a stack of at the very least 30 units with a nuke. The damage done to units in a city also means that taking any nuked cities down is a piece of cake.

Nukes =

M.A.D and AI using nukes =

Comment

At the time of my last post Dale had not posted anything about Nukes in any detail. If you checked then and were disappointed check now, in the 'Creation and Files' forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X