religion thing... new to forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• religion thing... new to forum

I am soooo confused about how this game handles religion. I start a city with a civ that has mysticism and get budhism right away. I start new towns and soon get a new religion. Well, then I get confused.

Why do towns have different religions?

I see one town with one religion with a star on it and another town with a different religion that also has a star on it. Wy do I have 2 religious capitals? confusing. ack

When I build a missionary, he just goes poof.

Do I need all cities to have the same religion? What significance does them being different in religion have?

Also, the advisor is split in two. Why? What does one town on one side and the other town on the other side tell me?

Sorry for these horribly newbie questions, but I am totally lost on this aspect of the game.

As a newb should I just take the first one budhism and stay there?

I like the aspect of the game, but at this stage I am totally confused by it.

I really appreciate your help. thank you

1. Cities can have different religions. In fact, a city* can have all the religions. There's no conflict.

2. It's not a "religious capital." It's where a religion is founded. You can later construct a holy shrine of that religion by sending a Great Prophet to that city.

3. You can't build missionaries without monasteries, unless you are running Organized Religion.

4. No. For each religion you can build its temple and monastery in each city that practises said religion. These structures have their benefits.

5. Huh? Which advisor?

6. You should spread your religion to as many other nations as you can. Countries that have the same religion as you are favourably disposed. Unfortunately, the opposite is also true.

* A town is a completely different thing in this game.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Cities acquire a religion in 3 ways. If you are the first to discover the appropriate tech (eg Mysticism for Budhism), the religion is founded in one of your cities. That city becomes the religion's holy city and acquires the religion. Religion can spread passively along a trade route. This is most likely to happen in the case of a city that has no religion. Religion can be spread actively by a missionary. When the missionary arrives at a city that does not already have the religion you have the option to try to introduce it. This always consumes the missonary (is that what you mean by "going poof"?), but does not always work. The chances of success become smaller as the number of religions in that city grow.

If you found more than one religion, the holy cities will usually be different.

There are several benefits from having a religion in all of your towns. You need a religion before you can build a temple or a monastery. If you have a state religion, some civic benefits only apply in cities with that religion. If you have built a shrine, you get income from every city with that religion.

AFAIK, the appearance of two groups of cities in the advisor screen is simply formatting and has no other significance. My guess is that cities appear in the order in which they are founded.

RJM
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

OK So just don't worry about it then for now until I learn more and play the game.

Thank you so much guys.

Comment

Try and spread one (or two) of your religions to as many other civ's as possible.

This helps from a diplomacy point of view, particularly if you can get them to convert (again particularly the more aggressive civs).

When you get Great Prophets, use them to build the temples of the most widely spread religion that you have founded. You will see the great $$ benefits of spreading religions at this point.

I usually play on huge maps, on Marathon. I always try and found Judasism, as I find on these settings it tends to spread faster than the other religions. I belive (think ) that this is due to when the religion is founded timeline wise, and generally the proximity of other civs cultural borders at the time.

Aso open borders are vital for spreading religions.

Hope this helps!
          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The religion advisor is split in two, the left hand side shows you the benefits you're getting in your cities due to your current religious choice.

The right hand side shows you what benefits you would get if you change to the religion you just selected.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
              The religion advisor is split in two, the left hand side shows you the benefits you're getting in your cities due to your current religious choice.

The right hand side shows you what benefits you would get if you change to the religion you just selected.
              This is not what happens in my game. As you move the mouse ponter over the possible religion choices, you get to see what culture, hapiness, etc you would get if you switched to that religion. It seems to me that the two sides of the screen are simply formatting, with no significance. Perhaps there are set-up differences?

RJM

Comment

I couldn't remember if you had to click the religion or just mouse over to see the change.

What I remember seeing is definitely that on the left side you see what you currently have, right side is what you would get.

No idea if there is a setting.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

[Shameless plug] See the AU 101 game that's a religious focused one.[/Shameless plug]

In the mean time, the only way to found a religion in your capital is for your capital to be the only city in your empire at the time.

Also, the fewer cities you have, the higher the probability of getting a city to be the holy city for multiple reasons.

Also, because a non-religion city is generally prefered by the computer algorithm in choosing a state religion, when reseraching a religious tech whose religion is not founded, be sure to spread a religion to the worst long run cities of your empire so that you'll be able to get the money improving structures built faster. (Revenue from holy shrines gets multipled)
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                    In the mean time, the only way to found a religion in your capital is for your capital to be the only city in your empire at the time.
                    Of course you can move your capital to the religion's holy city.

RJM

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                      Isn't it random?

I'm sure I have had more than one city, buthad a religion founded in my capital.
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

But, may be better don't.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by nugog

Isn't it random?

I'm sure I have had more than one city, buthad a religion founded in my capital.
                          it's not random.

it'll go to the veryu latest city that you colonized. unless it just got one, in which case it backs up a step... or something rather inane...

very simple algorithm for placement.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDjinn
                            it'll go to the very latest city that you colonized. unless it just got one, in which case it backs up a step...
                            Interesting! I never knew this. Must bear it in mind as it may add a small advantage to helping spread mid/late game religions.
                            Last edited by Nugog; May 18, 2006, 23:25.

Comment

no. i have had other experiences, and the code says something different as well (someone posted this before i only rechecked foundReligion(..) in CvPlayer.cpp). involved are a random factor (or rather addend), city size, and a strong bias against the capital

Comment

Working...
                              X